Glenageary Road Lower was formerly known as Sam Smith's Road. The road is shown clearly, though unnamed, on Taylors map of 1816, and also on John Rennies proposal for the harbour dated 1817. On older maps (Roques 1756) the area is shown as Monkstown Common.
The name Glenageary translates from the Irish language as "Glen of the sheep". It was hilly countryside, and it is easy to see that it was suitable land for sheep-farming.