Stradbrook Road runs from Temple Hill, Blackrock towards Deansgrange, and then veers left and continues as far as the roundabout locally known as the TEK roundabout which is the junction of 5 roads, including Monkstown Avenue, Abbey Road and others.
Stradbrook Road is shown clearly but unnamed on Roques map of 1857 and other earlier maps, of a time when only pathways are shown in the area of Dun Laoghaire.
At the time of Griffiths Valuation (1849) Stradbrook House was owned by Jer. John Murphy, Master in Chancery. The leaseholder was Sir William Betham. Stradbrook Cottages, close to the laneway that leads to Gleann na Smol are aalso listed on Griffiths valuation and shown on associated maps.
In the early Victorian period, the road was a rural road with open fields, and with large manor houses. Among those were:-
- Stradbrook House, (demolished in the 1980s) on the present location of Stradbrook Lawn was for many years a home of the Acton family. Charles Acton(1914-99) inherited it at 2 years of age, following the death of his father in war. Charles became literary editor of the Irish Times
- Somerset, on the site where Stradbrook/Blackrock RFC is now
- Rockford House, until recently Rockford Manor school, was the home of Sir William Betham (1779-1853) English herald and antiquarian, the Ulster King of Arms from 1820 until his death in 1853.. He is buried in Carrickbrennan Churchyard, Monkstown. Much of his genealogical work on Irish pedigrees is the only source available, as the original source documents were destroyed in the Four Courts in 1922.
- Windsor, at the junction of Stradbrook Road and Monkstown Avenue, has given the name to a number of roads in the vacinity (Windsor Avenue, Drive)