Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany (1763-1827) was the second eldest of the brothers, and the king had no children. If he had survived his brother, Frederick would have become king, but he died of dropsy and apparent cardio-vascular disease before he could do so.
York Road was formerly called York Street and is so recorded in Griffiths Valuation of 1949. It was changed to York Street in 1910. The name York Street probably reflects the fact that the northern end of the road was one of the main streets of the early town. Earlier, the name Kingstown Hill appears to have been applied to the Southern half of the road.
72 holdings are recorded in Griffiths Valuation. Fairyland House (Now St Helen's) is recorded as the house of Rev Edward Semple, has 14 acres of land. The other valuable house is that of Rev W.C. Stacpoole on 3 acres at No 57.
The road contains a mix of uses, including small shops and factories at the end closest to the town, through local authority housing, grand individual detatched houses, victorian terraces and institutional buildings
Along the road there are interesting buildings including:-
Presbyterian Church (opened on 21st June 1863)
Presbyterian Church (1828) later the Grammar School
The Birds Nest (opened April 11, 1862)
Tivoli Hall (Now HSE)