The address 101 South Division appears for the first time in the city directory as the Meigs, Arthur and Company Wholesale and Retail Grocers. By 1887 the Glen Haven Hotel began operating on the upper floors. The Chaffee Brothers Furniture Company, a long time Grand Rapids business, purchased the building in 1924. Chaffee’s was one of a number of furniture stores located on South Division Avenue from the 1920s to the 1950s. When the Furniture Company closed in the mid 1950s a variety of retail businesses were housed her and the upper floors became a rooming house.