Kent Country Club is the oldest golf club in Michigan. It was built in 1901, after Edward Lowe was inspired by a 1896 trip to the Royal and Ancient Golf Club in Scotland. He envisioned a place where GR's affluent could go to enjoy nature. As the "Country Club," a group began leasing property at Fisk Lake on the corner of Plymouth and Wealthy. The property was stocked with wildlife such as deer to provide for a natural atmosphere. Members – both men and women – were elected annually, paying $5 and $2.50 per year respectively. (For comparison’s sake, $2.50 was the daily wage of a furniture factory worker at the time.)
The Club later moved to the Creston Neighborhood.
source: Kent Country Club : The First One Hundred Years by Richard H. Harms a copy of the book is available in the History and Special Collections section, not for checkout. It provides an in-depth history written by and for the people of the club.[[coordinates:=42.956005°N,85.624888°W,site of First Kent Country Club]]