Grand Rapids Furniture City is a mural created by Richard Haas, located at the intersection of Cherry Street and Division Avenue. It was completed in October of 2004. It is painted in the tradition of trompe l’oeil (artworks appearing to have 3 dimensions) known as quadratura (the painting of fictitious architecture). The mural shows a time lapse of the history surrounding the lumber and furniture industry that helped to spur the development of the Heartside area from the late 1800’s into the early 1900’s.
Created by the Heartside Mainstreet Program formerly located within the Dwelling Place of Grand Rapids. Funders of this project include: Dyer-Ives Foundation, Grand Rapids Community Foundation, Grand Rapids Downtown Development Authority, Local Initiatives Support Corporation, Greater Grand Rapids Arts Council, Dick and Betsy DeVos Foundation, Keller Foundation, Michigan State Housing Development Authority, and building owner Joseph Niewiek.
Geographic coordinates are 42.959783° N, 85.668168° WLatitude: 42°57′35.219″N