Michigan Consolidated Gas Co. (MichCon), at MichCon is located in Roosevelt Park. Geographic coordinates are 42.95581°N, 85.68052°WLatitude: 42°57′20.916″N
Longitude: 85°40′49.872″W MichCon is one of the nation's largest natural gas utilities, safely delivering natural gas to 1.3 million Michigan families and businesses in over 500 communities.
- 1857: Michigan Consolidated Gas opens
- 1857: First gas street lamp installed on what is now Monroe Avenue
- 1938: Detroit City Gas Co., the Grand Rapids Gas Light Co., the Washtenaw Gas Co. and the Ann Arbor Gas Co. mergered to become Michigan Consolidated Gas Co. (MichCon)
- 1949: Michigan Consolidated Gas, the Milwaukee Gas Co., the Michigan-Wisconsin Gas Co., the Austin Field Pipeline Co. and the Milwaukee Solvay Co. became the American Natural Gas Co.
- 1981: MichCon became wholly-owned subsidiary of Primark Corp.
- 1988: Primark spun-off MichCon and the MCN Corp. was established as the parent company of MichCon "MCN Energy Group was a diversified energy holding company involved in oil and gas exploration and production, gas gathering, transmission, processing and storage, energy marketing, electric power distribution and other energy related businesses."
- 2001, May 31: DTE Energy and MCN Energy Group merged to create Michigan's largest energy company and premier regional energy provider
- Today: MichCon is a wholly owned subsidiary of DTE Energy Co. "a Detroit-based, diversified energy company involved in the development and management of energy-related businesses and services nationwide. "
"In addition to relying on Michigan's abundant supply of natural gas, MichCon pipelines link customers to energy sources in Texas, Oklahoma, the Rockies, Appalachia, the Gulf of Mexico and western Canada. Because of Michigan's unique geology, MichCon is able to store up to 130 billion cubic feet of gas in naturally occurring, underground rock formations. This storage capability assures customers of a reliable gas supply at a competitive price." MichCon History page