The Soil & The Sun is a Grand Rapids-based 8-piece indie rock band that describes its music as "experiential spiritual folk-rock / new mexican space music."
The Soil and the Sun started at Olivet Nazarene College in Bourbonnais, IL. Several members moved from Illinois to Grand Rapids following the opening of Madcap Coffee (which also relocated from Bourbonnais) in 2008.
The band has released two studio albums and several EPs:
What Wonder is this Universe (2012)
Wake Up, Child (2011)
- There Is No Death (2010)
- Indians, soon
- Alex McGrath - vocals, guitar, percussion
- Ashley McGrath - vocals, keyboard, accordion, oboe, etc.
- Ben Baker-Jackson - drums, percussion,
- Heather Baker-Jackson - cello
- Jacki Warren - Keyboard, vocals
- Joanna Perry - violin
- Michael Newsted - bass guitar, vocals
- William Campbell - electric guitar, many pedals
Alex and Ashley McGrath also perform as a duo called Just Married. Just Married features several stripped-down versions of The Soil and the Sun songs alongside originals and traditionals.