Since the 1980s, a punk rock underground has existed in various forms in Grand Rapids. Halls, houses, bars, DIY venues, and other places have played host to a variety of local and national punk bands.
For more information, check out the "punk" tag:
- "Grand Punk Railroad" A History of the Grand Rapids Underground Music Scene
- Grand Rapids Punk Flyer Archive
- Mob Work: Anarchists in Grand Rapids, Vol. 4 (section about anarchist punk in the 1990s).
- "Blog of the Week: Grand Rapids Is Screaming," Maximum Rocknroll, July 22, 2010.
- Rick Beerhorst, "What's Grand Rapids Capable of Growing Into?," Studio Beerhorst Blog, April 17, 2013 (includes reflections on the early punk scene in Grand Rapids and the "New Beat Club").
- "Grand Rapids Scene Report", in issue #303 of Maximum Rocknroll, August 2008.
- "Nice Lawn/New Fun Quintet - Split E.P. 7", Killed By Death Records Blog, January 1, 2013 (blog post about an early Grand Rapids punk record with comments reflecting on the punk scene in the 1980s).
- "Can't Stand the Midwest" by Matt Coppens (Website reflecting on punk in the mid-1990s in Grand Rapids)