Address: Torn down to make room for the LaPan Highway
Old Address: 16 - 18 Main Street
Year built: Before 1895
This three-story, wood-frame building was located at 16-18 Main Street, an address now located in the right-of-way of the LaPan Highway, next to today's Little Italy, the building that can be glimpsed along the left side of the photo at left. It appears on the 1895 Sanborn Map as a drug store, then run by F. M. Bull. In 1899, in the next map in the series, it is labeled a bakery, probably about the same time this photo of the Adirondack Bakery and Confectionery with its staff of six was taken. Proprietors S. F. Lane and T. B. McCarthy, and manager Wm. H. Martin advertised the bakery in the 1902 Saranac Lake City Directory. They offered all manner of Irish baked goods, as well as confectionery, carbonated beverages and cigars. The location was described as "Merkel Block, next to post office, with a branch store in Port Henry." They had a telephone, probably because F. M. Bull had operated the first phone company there, and they provided free delivery. The bakery remained on the Sanborn map in 1903, but was apparently gone after 1906; the 1908 map shows it as a tailor shop and a telephone office. The building was one of three on Main Street that were torn down to construct the LaPan Highway around 1957.
The Adirondack Bottling Works was located behind 16 Main Street.
Eddie Vogt lived there in 1952.