Samaritan House Address: 37 River Street
Old Address: 20 River Street
Other names: Dunn Cottage (1912), Murray Cottage (1928), Keough Cottage (1929), Lawrence Cottage (1948-1954); DIS. Farrell Cottage (1916). Later called The Castle, and then Resurrection House. By at least 2017, the building re-opened as Samaritan House, providing transitional housing for the homeless.
It was run by Mrs. Mildred Lawrence from 1929 to 1942.
A prayer group from St. Bernard's, incorporated as Children of the Resurrection, bought this house in 1986 as a retreat house for anyone needing private time for contemplation, prayer or study. The building had previously housed college students. In 2016 the Saranac Lake Ecumenical Council has received permission to use the house as transitional housing for homeless people; the facility will be operated and staffed by Lakeside House.
See: Adirondack Daily Enterprise, February 10, 2016, "Trustees solicit expert help on homeless shelter"