29 Church Street Address: 45 Church Street

Old Address: 29 Church Street

Other names: Howell Cottage (1911), McBean Cottage (1930), Eckert Cottage (1935), Schreiner Cottage (1945)

Note: There was another McBean Cottage at 89 Park Avenue.2

Other information: A very large cure cottage operated at one time by Mrs. A. S. McBean. For the winter of 1935-36, this house was rented by Gerald and Sara Murphy" for their son, Patrick Murphy (1920-1937), a teenaged TB patient. Sara made a home for her son in the Saranac Lake area (in four different residences: two were houses in the village, and two were camps), while Gerald commuted from his work at the Mark Cross company in New York. Artist Fernand Léger was one of many visitors during the less than two years that the Murphys were here; he sketched Patrick reading in bed. 1

A statistical sample of Latin American patients in the village shows that two Latin American patients stayed here. In 1943, Esteban Varas of Cuba stayed here and took the Americanization English class along with some of his housemates: two Norwegians, a Yugoslavian, a Belgian, an Englishman, and a patient from Ireland.

An article titled "Cottage Calls," about patients in the Schreiner Cottage at 29 Church Street, appeared in The Guild News in April 1943.

John Baxter Black, a soldier in WWI, was a patient here for a time.

This house was also used as a convent for the Sisters who taught at Pius X High School between 1959 and 1971.


Adirondack Observer, June 11, 1948; reprinted in the Adirondack Daily Enterprise, September 30, 2017, by Howard Riley

SCHREINER--Miss Alice Moll has been entertaining her niece and nephew, Mr. and Mrs. J. Walter Marshall Jr. of Huntington. Dr. Raymond Whitney, who has spent several months with us is leaving for his home in Boston this week. We hope he will come back to visit us.

 

Other historic properties

 

Comments

Footnotes

1. Gallos, Philip L., Cure Cottages of Saranac Lake, Historic Saranac Lake, 1985, p. 129. ISBN 0-9615159-0-2.

2. "Cottage Calls," Guild News, April 1943, p. 5.