Chiefly known for: Born in Chelsea, Vermont, he was an early settler; he bought 160 acres from Gerrit Smith, on which he built a house about 1850 on what would later be called Preachers Hill, on the Old Military Road, on the site that would become the Trudeau Sanatorium. The road was later re-routed along the river, leaving the Lathrop place cut off.

He had ten children, and agitated successfully for a school nearer his house than the existing one "in the pines"; the village's second school was built on the hillside near the present Trudeau Road. His wife and daughters taught in the school. 1


1. Donaldson, Alfred L. A History of the Adirondacks, New York: The Century Co., 1921, p. 269-270. (reprinted by Purple Mountain Press, Fleischmanns, NY, 1992)