Lake Placid News, July 2, 1913 Carey's bronze sign, Historic Saranac Lake collection The

C. J. Carey Company was a men's clothing store located at 79 Main Street started by Cornelius J. Carey, Sr..

From the Coulter Block by Philip Gallos:

Cornelius Carey came to Saranac Lake from Black Brook, New York, c.1895 and opened a store on Broadway. Three years later, he married Mary Stark, George Stark's sister (for more on Starks, see discussion of Starks Hardware Building). They made their home at 16 St. Bernard Street and within sight of the Starks' house at 6 St. Bernard Street.

When "Con" Carey opened his new store in the Coulter Block he did so in partnership with Thomas F. Finnigan (George Starks held a small interest, also). It was friction between Starks and Finnigan that was catalytic in the latter’s move to open his own business across the street.

C. J. Carey's carried the best of "just about anything a man would need" and that included a complete line of gear for the "sportsman". Until the store closed permanently c. 1936, Carey's was the Abercrombie & Fitch of the Adirondacks.

In August, 1921, Carey purchased the Coulter Block from the executors of the estate of Coulter's widow, Violet.