House and boathouse on Corey Island. Corey Island on southern Upper Saranac Lake, 1912. Corey Island is a ten acre island at the south end of Upper Saranac Lake. One of the owners, Arthur Hardy Jr., called it Boulder Island, though that was apparently never an official name.

The camp was started in the 1890s.  In 1924, it was sold by James and Irene Elliott to Dr. Arthur Hardy, a physician from Mt. Vernon.

In 1978 the island was owned by siblings Arthur Hardy Jr., Dr. Edward A. Hardy, and Helen B. Rooney, who were engaged in a legal skirmish over the latter's plans to use the island for an art performance, "Island Eye Island Ear", featuring kites, artificial clouds, and broadcast nature sounds.

New York Times, July 7, 1907

Camp Restawhile [on Deer Island] has been made ready for the coming of Mr. and Mrs. A. L. White. Dr. A. L. Wood will spend the Summer at his Corey Island camp.Corey's Island seen from the Indian Carry Golf Links at the south end of Upper Saranac Lake.  Detroit Publishing, between 1900 and 1910.

External link: