Born: c. 1844

Died: June 13, 1901

Married:

Children: Jennie S. Cameron, Byron Cameron

Duncan Cameron was the proprietor of the Ray Brook House in Ray Brook. He was the first Postmaster, appointed on April 4, 1881.


Elizabethtown Post, June 20, 1901

Death of Duncan Cameron, Proprietor of the Ray Brook House.

We regret exceedingly to learn that Duncan Cameron died at his Ray Brook home in the town of North Elba Friday last of liver trouble. He was 57 years of age and a developer of the region where he lived and moved. Years ago he erected the Ray Brook House on the Plains of Abraham where Rogers, the famous ranger, attacked and destroyed an Indian village during the French and Indian War period. Mr. Cameron, had, with the assistance of his son Byron, kept the Ray Brook House since its erection, earning a good reputation .in the hotel business. Mr. Cameron's wife, who survives, is a daughter of the late Daniel Ames of Ray Brook.

Deceased served as highway Commissioner of the town of North Elba and it was during his administration that the substantial iron bridge spanning the west branch of the Ausable River near the residence of ex-Sheriff J. C. Ware was erected. He also held other positions of trust in North Elba.   In politics he was a Democrat and stood high in the councils of his party in the western section of Essex County.

Duncan Cameron came of sturdy stock, as the good old Scotch name implies. His ambitions were for his family and his section. His family relations were tender and true and in the sacred precincts of the family circle his great wealth of affection was freely shown. The happy home he built, the reputation for good fellowship he sustained, the friends he made and kept, the honors accorded him attest as to his genuine worth. He was a good fellow to fall in with at home or abroad. He quitted himself like a man and left an example worthy of emulation by all men.

Funeral services were held at Saranac Lake Sunday Afternoon.


Plattsburgh Daily Press, April 18, 1936

Sentinel Files – 50 Years Ago [April 18, 1856]

The Mirror Lake House at Lake Placid has been leased by Duncan Cameron, proprietor of the Ray Brook House.


Plattsburgh Sentinel, October 18, 1889

Marriages

At the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Duncan Cameron, of the Ray Brook House, Oct. 10,1889, by Rev. C. P. Anibal, WILLIAM A. WALTON, of Saranac Lake, and Miss JENNIE S. CAMERON, of Ray Brook.

The happy couple took the morning train amid the well-wishes of a host of friends, for an extensive wedding tour.


Plattsburgh Sentinel, June 14, 1901

—Duncan Cameron the well known hotel proprietor of the Ray Brook House is reported very ill, little hopes of his recovery.

Comments