4 McCarthy Terrace, now numbered 43 Shepard Avenue, was listed as the Endicott-Johnson Cottage in 1930. It is a close next-door neighbor to the 45 Shepard Avenue cottage and also pictured in the Endicott Johnson Medical Service brochure of 1928.
45 Shepard Avenue was listed as the Endicott-Johnson Cottage in 1929. It is a close next-door neighbor to the 4 McCarthy Terrace cottage and also pictured in the Endicott Johnson Medical Service brochure of 1928.
3 Pine Street was listed as the Endicott-Johnson Cottage. This is very likely the same location as 73 Bloomingdale Avenue, now the large, flat, side yard of 71 Bloomingdale Avenue on the southwest corner of Pine Street, the site of a large cottage identified in a publication as "E. J. Cottage." The caption reads, "For tubercular patients. This building accommodates twenty-four people. Special cases are cared for at Trudeau Sanatorium, nearby." The source is an unidentified photocopy, probably from the Endicott Johnson Medical Service brochure of 1919.
From George F. Johnson and His Industrial Democracy [about the Endicott Johnson Shoe Co.], by William Inglis, 1935, pp. 234-35.
“The director of a room in the Scout Factory at Johnson City noticed, early in 1943, that one of his best men was falling behind in his work. He had a constant little nagging cough and was growing thin. The director persuaded Tony to drop in at the clinic and ask the doctor to give him something for the cough. Using the X-ray, the doctor found that Tony had incipient tuberculosis, and told him he must go to the mountains and get well. But what would become of his wife and two children–he wanted to know. E. J. would take care of them, the doctor said, and Mrs. Tony would receive his full pay every week. So he went up to the Adirondacks and lived in one of the two large cottages the company maintains at Saranac Lake. He found fifty-five other E. J. workers there. When he came home, early in the fall, he had picked up twenty pounds and was well; but his superintendent put him on light work out of doors, to keep him well.”