Born: 1879

Died: June 9, 1905

Ernest Weston Ayer was a member of the class of 1901 at Saranac Lake High School. He died as a young man, was greatly mourned, and his grave in Pine Ridge Cemetery is marked by a large, distinctive monument, with the statue of an angel.


Malone Farmer, June 21, 1905

Ernest N. Ayer, one of the leading young business men of Saranac Lake, died in a New York hospital June 9th, following an operation for appendicitis, aged 24 [sic] years, and was buried at Saranac Lake the following Monday. Mr. Ayer was a graduate of the Saranac Lake High School class of 1901, and had since engaged in business in the village, where he was universally respected and loved. His short life represented the highest type of man-hood and he was a leader in all good works. Mourning was universal at Saranac Lake on the day of the funeral and seldom has such a tribute been paid to any young man. All places of business were closed, and the Masons, Odd Fellows, Woodruff Hose, Miller Hose, Saranac Lake Cornet Band and High School Alumni all marched to the home at the funeral hour and formed a double line from the home to the M. E. Church, where the funeral occurred, Revs. Easton, Bigelow and J. B. Kelley taking part in the services. The Masonic rites were performed at the grave, Rev. W. H. Larom pronouncing the benediction. The great number of flowers and floral pieces which came as tributes of love were silent but eloquent witnesses of the affection and esteem in which he was held by all whose lives he had touched. Among the most beautiful floral pieces were those symbolical of the different organizations, the Sunday school, his Sunday school class, the choir, the Epworth League, the Eastern Star, the Alumni of the 1903 class and the 1901 class of which he was president.

Pine Ridge Cemetery lists his name as Ernest W. Ayer, his birth year as 1879, and his age as 26 years. His grave has a large, distinctive monument, with the statue of an angel.

He also signed his name as "Ernest W. Ayer '01" on the back of Photo #85.635, in the Adirondack Collection of the Saranac Lake Free Library.

Comments