Floodwood Road runs west nine miles to a deserted logging settlement at Derrick. It passes Green Pond, Polliwog Pond, Middle Pond, Floodwood Pond and the tiny settlement of Floodwood near the tracks of the New York Central. It then passes East Pine Pond and the parking area for Long Pond.  Floodwood itself was a logging center in the 1890s.  It is presently the site of the St. Regis Canoe Outfitters Outpost, a branch of the St. Regis Canoe Outfitters in Saranac Lake. There are a dozen small camps on nearby Paradise Lane.

Plattsburgh Republican, March 1, 1890

A carriage road is being built from Saranac Inn to the Northern Adirondack Railroad at Willis Pond, about 9 miles. Willis Pond is about a mile long and the railroad runs across an arm of it.

Detail of 1905 USGS St. Regis quadrangle