Garondah Cottage, early 1900s Address: Gabriels-Onchiota Road, Rainbow Lake

Other names:

Year built: 1885

Garondah Cottage was a three-story cottage with porches on three sides on 32 acres near the Rainbow Inn, within sight of the New York Central railroad station. It was established by James M. Wardner's daughter, Lulu Prellwitz Toof, with her first husband, Herman Prellwitz; after his death, she continued to operate it with her second husband, Fred C. Toof.

By 1900, the building had steam heat and electric lights, and they had a telephone early on. Smaller cottages were added to the property, bringing the capacity to 35 guests by 1913.

Rates were $2 to $2.50 per day or $10 to $15 per week. It is remembered that tubercular patients were not welcome, however Garondah Cottage was listed in the 1908 Anti-Tuberculosis League Cottage List as a boarding place in the Adirondacks for tuberculosis patients of moderate means. The register reads, "Garondah Cottage: T. C. Toof, Mgr. Rates on application. Usual rate, $12 up. P. O., Rainbow Lake, N. Y.."

Hunting and fishing were promoted. They advertised five incoming and six outgoing mails daily; at one point the Rainbow Lake Post Office was at Garondah.

After Lulu's death, the place was sold to William Prellwitz, who used it as a summer home.

In 1954, it was purchased by C. E. Collins, who renovated it as a fishing resort. In 1960, one of the guests, John Neronsky, bought and ran the property for several years, before subdividing it; he altered the three-story main building into a story and a half house.

The name "Garondah" was supposed to be an Indian word meaning "among the trees."


Other historic properties