Died: c. April 1903
George Washer was a farmer who moved to Saranac Lake from Plattsburgh. He owned the house at 18 Main Street, which he sold to Francis M. Bull. He also owned the land on which the Werle Cottages were built as early as 1875. Their daughter, Emma married Warren J. Slater, a guide, built the house by 1879.
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, September 18, 1986
Naming of North Country towns a family affair
When the Town of Harrietstown was formed in 1840, Captain Pliny Miller became the first supervisor and four years later the population had reached 129 hardy residents. Skipping to 1876, Beer's Atlas of Franklin County designated the settlement area as the "South Woods" and mentions such business activity as: Orlando Blood's Hotel, Milo B. Miller's general store, Ensine Miller's saw and grist mill, George Washer's shingle factory, arid H.M. Frenga's carriage shop. Water was dipped from the Saranac River, the only fuel was firewood and the mail came in by stage coach three days a week from AuSable Forks. Despite this shortage of amenities, the settlement was still the up and coming community chosen to be the town seat.
Plattsburgh Sentinel, March 12, 1886
Mr. George Washer, of Saranac Lake, a former resident, visited Plattsburgh last Saturday.
Plattsburgh Sentinel, May 4, 1883
Mr. Charles Gray, a son-in-law of George Washer, was buried at Saranac Lake last Sabbath.
The Malone Palladium, February 8, 1894
WASHER.—In Saranac Lake, N. Y., at the home of his brother, George Washer, on Friday. Jan'y 20, 1894, Joseph Washer, formerly of Watertown, N. Y., aged 80 years.
Malone Farmer, May 6, 1903
Two old and well-known citizens of Harrietstown have died recently, Henry F. Torrence, who had resided for 45 years in West Harrietstown and George Washer, who has resided for 30 years at Saranac Lake. Mr. Torrence held numerous town offices during his lifetime and was justice of the peace at the time of his death. A wife and two children survive him. Mr. Washer was the father of Mrs. Chas. Gray at whose home he died. He left a considerable property.