This detailed list of the activities of each Winter Carnival was compiled by Edna Finn, edited and extended by George DeChant and Katee Morgan Fobare.
- Winter Carnival, 1898 through 1920
- Winter Carnival, 1921 through 1960
- Winter Carnival, 1961 through 1980
- Winter Carnival, 1981 through 1990
- Winter Carnival, 1991 through 2000
- Winter Carnival, 2000 through 2010
Winter Carnival Time Line
1898 - Feb. 1 & 2 First Winter Carnival/ice tower.
1899 - First Ice Palace (Ice Fortress).
1951 - First Rotary Variety Show.
1952 - First Woodsmen's Exhibition
1953 - First paid celebrity King and Queen
1968 - Saranac Lake Chamber of Commerce has a contest to name Princess — Betty Jean Dufort from St. Pius X High School
1969 - North Country Community College provides a princess
1971 - Return to community member as King and Queen
1975 - First year Royalty Reception is held at Elks Club
1977 - Rotary Show is the theatre production: "Anything Goes"
- Coronation no longer part of the Rotary Show and takes place first day of Carnival
1978 - Louis P. Fobare Award, best in the parade, first awarded
1981 - First carnival button designed by Garry Trudeau
1983 - First Softball on Snowshoes
1984 - First Trudeau Award: Sue Dyer
1984 - stopped using voting machine, Winter Carnival Committee did the Selecting in 1984 & 1985
1986 - King and queen names nominated by public and selected by a committee of former kings and queens
1991 - First time the Royal Robes worn at outdoor events
1997 - First Interfaith Church Service.
1998 - First Sara the Snowy Owl Fable and mascot.
1999 - First Carnival with two weekends, Coronation moved to Friday. Lighting of the Palace on Saturday.
- First Murder Mystery at Hotel Saranac
- First Arts Council of Northern Adirondacks Concert at the Harrietstown Town Hall.
2002 - Ladies’ Fry Pan Toss (Sponsored by Mainely Lobster)
The palace on this page looks to be the same as the one labeled "Fireworks over the Ice Palace, 1901" on the winter carnival page. -- Amy C.