Indian Carry Chapel, 2017Address: 10 Indian Carry Road

Other names:

Year built: 1898 by the Champlain Presbytery

Indian Carry Chapel was one of 17 Presbyterian churches built by the Reverend Richard McCarthy. It is no longer used for worship and is privately owned.  Indian Dan Emmett, who sold baskets and canoes to tourists at Coreys was an usher at the chapel.


Malone Palladium, October 11, 1894

Monday evening a Presbyterian Church was organized at Axton, on Indian Carry, half way between Upper Saranac Lake and Spectacle Pond. A very neat and handsome chapel has been built and dedicated there during the summer, and now the people have been organized into a church. Revs. MILLAR and CHIPPERFIELD, of Malone, and Rev. JOHN H. GARDINER, of Fort Covington, were the committee of Presbytery to effect the organization. The young church begins auspiciously. It is composed entirely of actual all-year-round residents

Adirondack Daily Enterprise, July 6, 1957


Announcement has been made by the Rev. Alvin B. Gurley for the Champlain Presbytery that the Indian Carry Chapel will be open for the summer months beginning tomorrow, with services to be held at 9:30 o'clock.

Open air services will be held on Chapel Isle on Upper Saranac Lake throughout the summer at 11 o'clock. Transportation will be provided from the Wawbeek Hotel dock. Church school for vacationing youngsters will be held at the Indian Carry Chapel under the direction of the summer pastor and his wife, assisted by Mrs. Judy Butterfield, wife of William Butterfield, a teacher at the local high school.

Residents of the area will remember that the church on Chapel Isle, which was nearly eighty years old, burned to the ground last summer. It is hoped that plans will be completed this summer for a permanent place of worship to be constructed on the fire razed island in the middle of Upper Saranac. A refuge from storms to canoeists as well as a famous Adirondack landmark, the church belonged to the Champlain Presbytery, and was believed to have been constructed from timbers carried across the ice in the 1870's.

The Rev. William W. Clark is summer pastor for the two parishes. He and his wife and two children will make their home on Birch Island, Upper Saranac, during the summer.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Clark are ordained ministers, having studied at the Hartford Seminary. Rev. Clark is a former preparatory school headmaster and a teacher at Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana. He is now a graduate student at Boston University.

The Indian Carry Chapel has been recently completely renovated inside and out under the direction of the trustees of the Champlain Presbytery. The work was done by Ross C. Freeman of Coreys.

A cordial welcome has been extended to visitors in the area to attend either of these rustic Adirondack churches.

Other historic properties