Died: November 13, 1995
Married: Helen M. Trouv[o ?]
John F. Delahant moved to Saranac Lake in 1949 and worked in journalism and public relations for many years. He served as president of the Saranac Lake Chamber of Commerce , the Saranac Lake Rotary Club, the Saranac Lake Free Library, and the Stevenson Society; and he operated the Stevenson Cottage.
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, November 15, 1995
John F. 'Jack' Delahant Jr.
Born Sept. 13, 1910 in Albany, he was the son of John F. Delahant Sr. and Maude (Hotaling) Delahant,
Mr. Delahant graduated from the Choate School in Wallingford, Conn. in 1930, and from Yale University in 1934 with a bachelor's degree in engineering. He also served in the U.S. Navy aboard the USS Arkansas.
On March 17, 1944, he married the former Helen M. Trouv[o ?] in The Little Church Around the Corner in New York City.
In 1949 Mr. Delahant moved to Saranac Lake from New York City, where he had worked in advertising and real estate. In his own words, "I just got fed up with New York City so we moved to the Adirondacks."
He was the northern New York correspondent for the Watertown Daily Times from 1952 to 1978. In addition, he wrote local news for radio station WNBZ from 1953 to 1970. Mr. Delahant also worked as public relations director for the Paul Smith's Electric Co. and Paul Smith's College. And he served as public relations director and librarian of the Trudeau Institute from 1968 to 1978.
Mr. Delahant was a member of the Saranac Lake Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors for many years, including one term as president.
He also was a member of the Saranac Lake Rotary Club, serving as president from 1965 to 1966. He was named a Paul Harris Fellow in 1985. In addition, he was a member of the Saranac Lake Free Library Board of Directors, and also served as president.
At the time of his death, he was president of the Stevenson Society of America, Inc., which owns and operates the Robert Louis Stevenson Memorial Cottage in Saranac Lake. He was solely responsible for continuing the preservation and operation of the Stevenson Cottage, which has been open to the public since 1915.
Survivors include his wife; three sons, William A. of Lake Placid, and Thomas H. and J. Michael, both of Saranac Lake; a sister, Mrs. Spencer (Ruth) Newman of Saranac Lake; two grandsons, Nicholas and Scott, both of Lake Placid; and several nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by two brothers, James and Robert.
Calling hours will be held from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday at the Fortune-Keough Funeral Home. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Friday at the funeral home with the Rev. Fredrick H. Dennis officiating. Cremation will follow, with burial in Pine Ridge Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Stevenson Society of America, Inc., or the Saranac Lake Free Library in care of the funeral home.