James A. Latour & Company began as a livery operated by Tuffield Latour and his son James A. Latour; in 1906 they had liveries located at the Hotel Ampersand and at 64 Broadway. An ad in the 1906 Adirondack Directory stated that they were "Agents for the Franklin Motor Car have automobiles for rent, hour or day. Dealers in the finest coal and have extensive wood yards. Local and long distance telephone."
J. A. Latour was also a dealer in "Fresh and Salt Meats, all Kinds Fish and Poultry; Chicago Dressed Meats a Specialty" about 1900. He bought the Lake Colby Dairy and Produce Farm from John Tierney for $12,000 on May 12, 1923.
In 1916, the area behind 135 - 151 Broadway (opposite the foot of Prospect Avenue) was owned by the Dock and Coal Company. Sometime before 1924, the complex was acquired by J.A. Latour & Company.
Howard McGill was a transport driver for the company.