J. A. Latour, 64 Broadway. Tuffield Latour is second from the right, George Stearns, far right Broadway, J. A. Latour sign, right, 64 Broadway James A. Latour & Company
began as a livery
operated by Tuffield Latour
and his son James A. Latour
; in 1906 they had liveries located at the Hotel Ampersand
and at 64 Broadway
. An ad in the 1906 Adirondack Directory
stated that they were "Agents for the Franklin Motor Car have automobiles for rent, hour or day. Dealers in the finest coal and have extensive wood yards. Local and long distance telephone."
J. A. Latour was also a dealer in "Fresh and Salt Meats, all Kinds Fish and Poultry; Chicago Dressed Meats a Specialty" about 1900. He bought the Lake Colby Dairy and Produce Farm from John Tierney for $12,000 on May 12, 1923.
In 1916, the area behind 135 - 151 Broadway (opposite the foot of Prospect Avenue) was owned by the Dock and Coal Company. Sometime before 1924, the complex was acquired by J.A. Latour & Company.
J. A. Latour statement to Wallace Murray, 1899 An aerial view of the J.A. Latour complex between 141 - 151 Broadway and the tracks of the NY Central (c. 1950?)
Detail of the 1924 Sanborn Map showing the J.A. Latour complex An advertisement in the 1895 Adirondack Enterprise under the name "T. Latour". An advertisement in the 1905 Adirondack Enterprise uses both T. Latour and J.A. Latour J.A. Latour building (undated) An advertisement for Latour's Livery (undated, unidentified news clipping) An advertisement selling Coal & Wood. Note the separate numbers for the two competing phone services. M.H. Phone was Mountain Home Telephone Company (undated, unidentified news clipping)