Born: March 12, 1912
Died: December 26, 1985
Married: Adelaide Clancy; Edna Corsa
James R. Finn owned and operated the Currier Press.
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, May 7, 1957
Jim Finn is a newcomer to town, having moved here from Canada only in 1919, thirty-eight years ago. His career is one of those wonderful stories of Americana: Left high school, started in a print shop completely "green", stayed in the same, shop until he learned everything there is to know about printing, began to buy into the business, finally bought the business, and then set out to expand it.
It is good news to the community that Jim is going to build a brand new printing establishment. We are sure it will be a fine well equipped shop and that it will turn out the very best quality work in line with the tradition Jim learned under Al Currier and has carried on since he took over that business. […]
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, March 30, 1984
Currier Press sold
Amell is a native of Tupper Lake and joined the staff of the printing firm 13 years ago. He has been office manager since that time.
The Currier Press was originally located at 12 Main St., and was owned by Alfred W. Currier who sold the business to Finn in early 1952. When the LaPan Highway was built it became necessary to move the business and to seek larger quarters.
It was at this time that Leo McKillip who then owned the Commercial Press at 107 Broadway offered to sell his business to Finn. The sale was approved and an extensive addition was added to the building.
In January 1957 the Currier Press moved to the Broadway location and the two printing establishments merged.
In 1930, at age 18, Finn went to work for the Currier Press to learn the printing trade. He continued in the printing business for over 53 years and now, at age 73, is retiring.
Jim Finn's brother, Ray, started working for Currier one month after his brother and still works part-time. Two of Jim Finn's sons, Fred and Rick, are also employed by the firm. The other employees are Dick Dora, Ann Brink and Mary Jane Durfee all of whom will continue working at Currier.
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, December 27, 1985
Former print shop owner, James Finn, dead at 73
SARANAC LAKE - Civic leader and former owner of the Currier Press, James R. Finn, of Old Lake Colby Road, died Thursday morning, Dec. 26, at his home. He was 73 years old.
Finn, a Republican, had served on the Harrietstown Town Board from 1966-77 and was Franklin County District 7 legislator from 1978-79.
His other civic commitments included membership and a past presidency in the Saranac Lake Area Chamber of Commerce and membership on the Harrietstown School District No. 1 school board for many years.
He was born March 12, 1912, in St. Anicet, Que., the son of Richard and Mary Elizabeth (Maloney) Finn.
He had been a resident of Saranac Lake since 1919 and was a graduate of Saranac Lake High School.
In 1930, he started working for the Currier Press of Saranac Lake and became sole owner in 1952. In 1957, he combined the business with Commercial Press, then owned by Leo McKillip. He retired in 1984.
Finn was a long-time member of Elks Lodge 1508 in Saranac Lake and past Exalted Ruler of the Lodge from 1957-58. He founded the Ladies of the Elks here in 1959.
On Sept. 22, 1954, he married Edna Corsa, who survives him.
Other survivors include four sons, James Finn Jr., of Charlottesville, Va., Frederick F. Finn of Bloomingdale, and Richard P. Finn and Steven J. Finn, both of Saranac Lake; three daughters, Mrs. Martha Gladd of Saranac Lake, Mrs. Susan Germaine of Logan, Utah, and Mrs. Margaret Scheller of Barrington, N.H.; and 12 grandchildren.
He is survived by four brothers, Raymond and Robert Finn, both of Saranac Lake, John Finn of Clarksville, Tenn., and Roy Finn of Rochester; two sisters, Mrs. Ruth Wilson of Framingham, Mass., and Mrs. Grace VanNostrand of Saranac Lake; and several nieces and nephews.
Calling hours will be from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. today at the Fortune Funeral Home, and will include a Bible vigil at 7:30 and an Elks service at 8 p.m.
Burial will be in St. Bernard's Cemetery in May.
Donations in Mr. Finn's memory may be made to the American Red Cross in care of the funeral home.