Markham Point is a mile-long point on the north-east shore of Upper Saranac Lake. In 1912, it was owned by Dr. Samuel B. Ward. It was the site of John R. Dunlap's camp, Woodwil, in the 1920s. In 1987, Dunlap's son, Jack, developed the 23-acre property into six lots ranging from 2.9 to 5.8 acres. There are presently eight lots.
The eight acres at the western tip is presently a camp called Three Trees Camp.
Chateaugay Record and Franklin County Democrat, December 16, 1927
James R. Dunlap, [sic] hat manufacturer of New York city, has bought a 50-acre tract in Upper Saranac Lake near Saranac Inn and has started erection of an Adirondack camp that will cost $50,000. William G. Distin, Saranac Lake architect, designed the camp. The property is on Markham Point and at present cannot be reached except by water.
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, November 25, 1987
Santa Clara Project
The APA has also approved a six- lot subdivision planned by John R. Dunlap on the shore of Upper Saranac Lake in the Town of Santa Clara.
The permit for the 23-acre property on Markham Point Road, located off Forest Home Road, allows the creation of one 4.4-acre lot with an existing house, four lots from 2.9 to 3.6 acres in size for single family homes, and one 5.8-acre lot to remain undeveloped but with the potential for a future two-lot subdivision.
Construction of septic systems on the site will be monitored by a state-licensed engineer, according to an APA memorandum. The permit requires, future structures to be at least 75 feet from the lake's high water mark. Boat docks, but not boathouses, will be allowed at the site.