Masonic Temple, 2008 Masonic Temple, before the tower and hip roof were removed Masonic Temple interior Smith & Mason ad in the program for an October 3 and 4, 1928 Odd Fellows Minstrel Show Address: 57 Broadway/173 Olive Street

Old Address: 70 Broadway

Other names: Whiteface Mountain Lodge #789, Nori's Whole Foods

Year built: 1904

Other information: The Whiteface Mountain Lodge #789 of Free and Accepted Masons was originally located in Bloomingdale, starting in 1884. They moved to Academy Street in Saranac Lake in 1892, and to the present building in 1904; the building cost $14,200. Early members included F. M. Bull, Charles Kendall, R. Eugene Woodruff, Charles Stickney, Paul Smith and his son, Phelps. Other members have included Irving Altman, Charlie Green, Alton B. AndersonKarl Griebsch and Howard Hoffman.

The first floor was rented out to help pay expenses. Tenants included a livery, candy story, radio station, barber shop, and restaurant.

Lodges were formed in Lake Placid in 1901 and in Tupper Lake in 1903.

The Masonic Temple, early 1900s.
T.F. Hushion's Stationery Shop later became Jordan's Card Shop and then Mainely Lobster. The tower was removed in 1925.
Photo 82.618 courtesy of the Adirondack Room
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, March 6, 2004

An ad in the program for the St. Bernard's Club's Minstrel Review, circa 1930, lists A. & P. No. 1764 ("Try Our Teas, They are Sure to Please") at 68 Broadway. According to Sanborn Maps for 1924 and 1945, it appears that 68 Broadway would have been in the Masonic Temple.


Franklin Gazette, January 13, 1888

Whiteface Mountain Lodge, No. 789, F. & A. M., of Bloomingdale, elected officers for the ensuing year at its annual communication, Dec. 21st, as follows:

W. M. — Isaac Rice. S. W. — C. P. Bunker. J. W. — S. D. Torrence. Treas. — H. H. Barnard. Sec'y — F. G. Eaton. S. D. — W. A. Walton. J. D. — E. J. King. Chaplain —Rev. F. S. Francis. S. M. C. — G. W. Mussen. J. M. C. — J. N. Patterson. Tyler — Antoine Fortune, Jr. Marshal — W. B. R. H. Mclntyre.


Malone Palladium, January 18, 1894

The officers of Whiteface Mountain Lodge, F. & A. M., of Saranac Lake, for the year are as follows:— W. M. — S. D. Torrance. S. W. — Joe. Merkel. J. W. — Geo. W. Mussen. Secretary — F. L. Carr. Treasurer — R. H. McIntyre. S. D. — N. Stewart. J. D. — George E. Johnson. S. M. C. — J. M. Ormsby. J. M. C. — F. G. Tremble. Tyler — J. A. Morhous. Chaplain — W. J. Slater.


Malone Palladium, June 4, 1903

Whiteface Mountain Lodge at Saranac Lake is to build a Masonic hall at a cost of $10,000, exclusive of the land. The ground floor will be used for mercantile purposes, and the upper stories by the Masonic bodies.


Malone Palladium, March 10, 1904

A $13,000 Masonic temple will be built at Saranac Lake this spring. It will be of brick, three stories high, and will contain a store, a banquet hall on the second floor and a lodge room in the third story.


Malone Palladium, July 13, 1905

A Masonic fair is to be held at Saranac Lake from August 1st to 12th, and will be under the auspices of Whiteface Mountain Lodge of that village. The merchants and the people generally of Saranac Lake have taken hold of the enterprise with a hearty good will, and the event promises to be a great success.


Malone Palladium, January 23, 1908

Malone members of the Masonic fraternity are in receipt of invitations to the annual ball of Whiteface Mountain Lodge, F. & A. M., of Saranac Lake, which is to be held in the town hall in that village on Thursday evening, Feb. 18th. An orchestra from Albany has been engaged to furnish music and tickets are to be $3.00 each.

 

Other historic properties

    Comments