Old Address: 42-44 Main Street
Other names: A. Goldsmith & Son; E.L. Finnegan's Shoes (1940s); Western Auto (1960s - 1970s); Journey's End; Snuffy's Pub and Owl's Nest Pizza (1990s to present). Prior to Western Auto being in this building it was the office for Clinton J. Ayres, Inc. which probably would have been the late 1950's. The Ayres office eventually moved next door to 40 Main Street sometime in the very late 1950's or very early 1960's.
Year built: 1867
The Owl's Nest got its name from the fact that Greg Zeh sponsored a softball team named the Hoot Owls. Eventually Walsh's Cigar Store closed and Greg opened a pizza shop and thus it was called the Owl's Nest.
Source: Jim Clark
Built by Milo B. Miller in 1867, it is the oldest commercial structure in the village. Until 1890, this three story, wood-frame building was the home of Miller's Store, a general merchandise operation that was the community's second such business. Then Aaron Goldsmith leased the premises, and for the next 43 years it was the location of A. Goldsmith and Son drygoods.
Charles H. Goldsmith took over the business from his father and then bought the building from the Milo B. Miller Estate in December, 1921. Charles was not the businessman that his father was, however, and, by October, 1931, the store was in such deep financial trouble that a Committee of Creditors headed by Adirondack National Bank president John R. Freer was given quit claim to the property. One year and two months later, the bank received a warranty deed for bidding $18,060.40 at a foreclosure proceeding. It was theirs until June, 1945.
Since then, the Miller Store building has housed a variety of businesses and has had six owners. Unfortunately, it seems that each of these has felt compelled to change the building's face; and this has been done not by removing previous alteration and starting anew or restoring the original but by simply covering, entirely or in part, what was most recent. Furthermore, there is a large, concrete block addition at rear.
Thus, the first two stories of this historic and once gracious structure are totally obscured. Still, above them, the third story with its mansard roof and dormers seems to float untouched, weathered and brooding, but a reminder that the Miller Store Building is not lost — just hidden.
Original text by Philip L. Gallos, 1983
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, June 20, 1979
2010-05-05 09:21:12 Was Owl's Nest in this building when it was Journey's End? —MaryHotaling When Greg Zeh opened Journey's End the Owl's Nest was still Walsh's Cigar Store which was then owned and operated by John and Tina Clark. The Owl's Nest got its name from the fact that Greg Zeh sponsored a softball team named the Hoot Owls. Eventually Walsh's Cigar Store closed and Greg opened a pizza shop and thus it was called the Owl's Nest. (Information supplied by Jim Clark)