The Mohawk and Malone Railway, built by Dr. William Seward Webb, crossed the northern Adirondacks just north of Tupper Lake. Webb was president of the Wagner Palace Car Company. He began by purchasing the narrow gauge Herkimer, Newport and Poland Railroad, which ran 16 miles from Herkimer to Poland, converting its track to standard gauge and straightening it to avoid multiple crossings of the West Canada Creek. He then acquired John Hurd's New York and Ottawa railroad that ran from Tupper Lake to Moira and thence to Montreal. This was also called the Adirondack and St. Lawrence Railroad.
It opened in 1892 from Malone Junction to Childwold Station with a branch from Lake Clear Junction to Saranac Lake. After 1893, it was controlled by the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad. In 1913, it merged with the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad as the "Adirondack Division".