Address: Vacant (St. Bernard's School playground)
Old Address: 33 Church Street
Other names: Moir Cottage (1911), Coleman Cottage (1913), Moir Cottage (1928)
Year built: c. 1896
Architect: William L. Coulter for Renwick, Aspinwall & Renwick
Other information: Built in 1896 as the home of failed iron magnate Robert H. Coleman, this cottage appears to have been used as the winter home and private commercial sanatorium, or cure cottage, of the Arthur Duncan Moirs, from about 1912 through 1921 (based on the Disinfection Records). Mrs. Moir apparently had TB herself, as did their daughter, Jean, whose cure was successful. The Moirs operated a cure facility at their camp on Lake Colby in summers.
The use of the house by the Moirs and the Colemans at specific times is unclear, though the Colemans built it, and owned it for a long period, continuing to pay taxes on the house. What data has been found follows:
|1896||George T. Chellis survey map locates the "Colman" Cottage on Church Street|
|1902-03||Adirondack Directory lists Coleman|
|1911||Moir Cottage (Disinfection)|
|1913||Coleman Cottage (Disinfection)|
|1921||A. D. Moir residence (Directory)|
|1922||R. H. Coleman (Directory)|
|1926||Arthur Moir and Ernest Wood|
|1928||Moir Cottage (Disinfection)|
The house was torn down c. 1945 by St. Bernard's parish to create a playground for St. Bernard's School.
Carnival Edition, Adirondack Enterprise, February 4, 1915 (reprint):
"The Coleman Cottage"
The Coleman cottage, occupied by A. D. Moir, had a large full fan of flags above the entrance, with flags draped from the veranda on each side. The heraldic emblem of Richard Couer de Lion [sic] blazed from the second story.
Lake Placid News, December 30, 1927
LONDON TALKS WITH SARANAC LAKE VTA TRANS-ATLANTIC TELEPHONE
Transoceanic telephony has invaded Northern New York. The first call from the old world to this part of New York State was received Saturday, December 17th, when a party in London called Miss Martha Braggiotti of 33 Church Street at Saranac Lake, The call was made at 1:36 P. M. eastern standard time and continued for about four minutes.
When interviewed following the message, Miss Braggiotti said that it was the most thrilling experience of her life. She stated that the transmission was as clear as a bell, so much so, in fact, that five people in the next room could clearly hear the words spoken in London.
Thus transatlantic telephony has become a reality in Northern New York—this service is not only available but is actually in use!
The message originating in London was transmitted by land wires to the English transmitting station at Rugby, thence by radio over a distance of 2,990 miles to Houlton, Maine, where the American receiving station is located. The message was then relayed by land wires to New York city where it was connected with a direct circuit to Saranac Lake. The Northern New York Telephone Corporation cooperated in, the furnishing of this service.