Moose Pond is a 128-acre pond four miles northeast of Saranac Lake and three miles southeast of Bloomingdale. Nearby Moose Mountain is likely named for the pond. The shoreline is owned by the state of New York, having been purchased by 1965. 1
Moose Pond Road leads to the pond from the north, from River Road off of New York Route 3 two tenths of a mile east of Bloomingdale. The shore is entirely state owned: the eastern and southern shores are part of the McKenzie Mountain Wilderness Area, and the remainder is part of the Saranac Lakes Wild Forest Area. There are nine camp sites on Moose Pond.
Before 1925, there was no improved road to Moose Pond, though the road built at that time, which came east from New York Route 3 two miles south of Bloomingdale, followed an old logging trail; the trail may still be followed on foot. In 1932, the owners posted it as a private game preserve.
Chateaugay Record, February 27, 1925
New Adirondack Resort To Open
M. J. Callanan, of Keeseville, and George L. Starks, of Saranac Lake, are at the head of a group of Adirondack business men who propose to open a new resort project in the mountains in the vicinity of Moose Pond, between Saranac Lake and Bloomingdale, which is said to be one of the most wildly beautiful spots in the north woods.
The new resort will be called Bel-Lago, an Italian name which translated into English is "Beautiful Lake." Hereafter, this will be the name of Moose Pond and the camp which will be located on the shores of this sheet of water which is all the new name implies.
Bel-Lago is not far from Bloomingdale and is about one mile off the state highway. It is reached by an old trail which the new company has obtained permission to improve and make suitable for automobile travel. 2
All the shore frontage has been secured by the new company with the exception of those parts owned by the state. This will give the owners control over the development and allow them to guard against anything that would mar the naturally beautiful surroundings. Hitherto Moose Pond has been accessible to only the sturdiest hunters, although many of these have built rough hunting and fishing camps along its shores. The new owners will make it easily of access and at the same time preserve the wild beauty which will have a strong appeal to those who love nature at her best.
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, June 3, 1925
OPEN NEW LAKE RESORT CENTER AT MOOSE POND
Bel-Lago Corporation Is Building Road to Make Region Accessible.
READY JULY FIRST
Colony of Camps Planned on Shore of Wilderness Body of Water
Hitherto inaccessible, yet within five miles of Saranac Lake, one of the most beautiful lakes of the entire Adirondack region is to be made available this summer for the enjoyment of summer recreationists as the result of a development project now being rushed to completion by a group of Saranac Lake men,
From a point about four miles north of this village on the Bloomingdale highway a new road is being built a mile and a quarter long through the wilderness to the shores of Moose pond, a forest enclosed sheet of clear water with sloping rocky shores and [illegible].
The Bel-Lago corporation, in which George L. Starks holds the principal interest, owns three-fourths of a mile of shore frontages on the lake and is carrying out the new development, which will be known as Bel-Lago park. The lake front lots are to be plotted for camp sites and are to be placed on sale on July 1 of this year, by which time the new road is to be completed.
A force of twenty men working under the direction of George Collins of Saranac Lake are engaged in opening the new road, which is to follow natural contours in such a manner that a practically level road will lead to the lake.
Follow Old Trail
For most of the distance the road will follow an old lumber road, now little more than a trail, built half a century ago when portions of that section were lumbered by the Maine Lumber Co.
Much virgin timber is still standing in the vicinity of the lake, that on the land of the Bel-Lago corporation being valued at several thousand dollars. According to Mr. Starks, this will be cut under the direction of the conservation commission so that the grove will continue in virtually a natural condition. The rest of the land surrounding the lake is owned by the state.
Known to but Few
Moose pond, or Moose lake as it is to be known in the future, has long been a favorite hunting and fishing center for a small group of woodsmen and sportsmen who were familiar with the trails leading to it.
One small hunting lodge built by Saranac Lake men a number of years ago has been in use there and on the state land there is one camp permit in effect. These are the only camps now on the lake, so that the entire development will be a new one and can be directed along lines found most desirable by the owners of the property.
The task of building the road to the lake has proven one of no little difficulty. Great quantities of stone have been moved to level the roadbed, and here and there outcroppings of ledge must be blasted away. The contour of the land is rolling, and a succession of cuts and fills is being made. At the present time the road has been completed about half of the necessary distance.
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, August 12, 1932
The following described parcel of land, known as Bel-Lago Park, situate in the Town of St. Armand, Essex County, New York, and distinguished as Lot No. 126 of Township No. 11, in the Old Military Tract bounded and described in the field book and map of said township made by John Richards, filed in the Secretary's office of the state of New York, as follows: BEGINNING at the north-west corner of said lot marked on a maple tree … containing 160 acres of land.
ALSO the road leading from the Saranac Lake - Bloomingdale road across Lot No. 87 and to the state owned Lot No. 186 as inclosed in wire fence, is hereby set aside and posted according to the provisions of Part 10 of the Conservation Law as a Private Park, by the undersigned owner of tike exclusive fishing and minting: rights thereon, for the purpose of propagating and protecting fish, birds and quadrupeds.
All persons are hereby warned against trespassing upon the above described Private Park.
Signed: BEL-LAGO CORPORATION,
Owner By Geo. L. Starks, Pres. Saranac Lake, N. Y
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, July 15, 1948
Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Moody and Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Clements have arrived from Charlottesville, Va., and are the guests of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Moody at their Moose Pond camp.
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, August 16, 1954
Friday afternoon 'power' was turned on in the Moose Pond area — the camp of A.A. Williams being the first to receive this service. Other homes and camps in the vicinity will be connected soon.
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, August 15, 1956
Arthur B. Wardner had quite a thrill on Saturday afternoon landing a 14 pound, 4 ounce lake trout when fishing at Moose Pond. Measured 34 1/2 inches. It has been entered in the Genessee Contest. Is this the largest laker taken at Moose Pond?
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, June 30, 1965
Mr. and Mrs. B. E. White and children, Michele and Stephen of Bethesda Md. are enjoying a short vacation at Mr. White's father's camp on Moose Pond.
2013-08-25 11:47:58 I remember the day Mr. Wardner caught that fish.! And our friendships: Diane, Betty, Sue, and Sharon: and our Moms and Dads, back in the wonderful days of Moose Pond.! —220.127.116.11