The Northern Adirondack Railroad was built by John Hurd south from Moira to Tupper Lake between 1883 and 1890, passing the logging operation at Brandon, then known as Paul Smith's Station in 188 (Brandon became part of William G. Rockefeller's Bay Pond preserve in 1898).
Hurd went bankrupt in 1895, and the company was reorganized as the New York and Ottawa Railway, and soon after was absorbed by the New York Central as the Ottowah Division.
Source: Barbara McMartin, The Privately Owned Adirondacks, Lake View Press, Canada Lake, NY, 2004, pp. 103, 105
Tupper Lake Free Press, May 5, 1982
…Started in 1882 to link St. Regis Falls with Moira, the line was gradually extended by Hurd to reach now-gone and largely forgotten sawmill settlements at Meno, Brandon, Bay Pond, Buck Mountain, Derrick, and reached the shores of Raquette Pond here in 1890. Hurd's "Northern Adirondack" line and the Big Mill which he erected touched off the settlement of Tupper Lake village, which fared better than its founder. The precariously-financed railroad went into the hands of receivers in 1895 and was taken over by New York Central in 1906 via a bondholders' foreclosure sale. While large-scale lumbering lasted it "made ends meet", but the lean times of the 1930s sealed its fate. The Free Press reported that "tomorrow morning H.B. Smith, supervisor of track, and Vernon Proper, assistant supervisor, both of Faust, with a crew of 30 men, will start at Santa Clara and work back toward Tupper Lake, pulling rails and ties and loading them on gondolas for salvage…