Oseetah Lake (orginally Miller Pond) is a 250-acre lake two-and-a-half miles south of the village of Saranac Lake on the Saranac River.
Oseetah Lake was enlarged when the dam across the Saranac River at Saranac Lake that forms Lake Flower was raised to generate electric power by the Saranac Lake Electric Company in 1904. The Saranac River departs the lower locks below Lower Saranac Lake and flows northeast into Oseetah Lake. The river exits Oseetah at the north end of the lake and flows northeast to Lake Flower. Oseetah is also fed by Kiwassa Lake. Islands in Oseetah Lake include Turtle, Wyota, Wapiti, Watch, Haven of Rest, Papoose, Birch, Justamere, and Honeymoon or Newman's Island. Oseetah's shoreline and islands are mostly privately held.
According to a legend of doubtful authenticity, Oseetah was an Indian Princess who, upon throwing herself off a cliff into a lake on learning the Indian chief she loved was betrothed to another, was magically transformed into a water lily. In the Huron language Oseetah means "Water Lily". 1
It is part of the route of the Adirondack Canoe Classic, also known as the Ninety-miler.
Plattsburgh Press, May 29, 1906
Hon. Benjamin S. Hall, president of the Oseetah Lake Co., is spending several days in town. The village and town officials hare received invitations to accompany Mr. Hall on the initial trip of the launch Indian Maid, from the village to Lower Saranac Lake this week.
• A History of the Adirondacks, Alfred L. Donaldson, Harbor Hill Books, 1977
• Topographical Survey, Adirondack Region, Verplanck Colvin, Weed Parsons & Company, 1880
1. Skinner, Charles Montgomery, Myths and legends of our own land, Volume 1