Pioneer Village brochure (undated) Adirondack Daily Enterprise, June 4, 1948

Address: New York Route 86, Ray Brook

Other names:

Year built:

Pioneer Village was owned by Martha and Jack Cogan in 2001. The main building burned a few years ago, and the rest of the cabins have since been torn down. In 2018 the property is the site of a large Tractor Supply store, set back from the road.


Tupper Lake Free Press and Herald, May 23, 1946

Hofmann Negotiating To Purchase Pioneer Village at Ray Brook

Leonard L. Hofmann, former editor of the Free Press and manager of radio station WHDL here, expects to purchase Pioneer village, a cabin settlement at Ray Brook, two and one half miles from Saranac Lake. Hofmann expects to close the deal soon after he returns from his home in South Bend, Ind.

Pioneer village includes 10 cabins and a lodge. Each cabin is equipped with improvements and the capacity accommodations for each cabin is from four to eight persons. There is also a central sewage system, central water system and other improvements. The lodge contains a dining room and a business office.

Map from Pioneer Village Brochure, (undated).The property is owned by William Parsons, formerly of Saranac Lake. While the sale price has not been announced, it is understood to be in the neighborhood of $25,000.

Hofmann said in the event the deal is closed, he will open the cottages within a few weeks. They were closed by Parsons two years ago.

Hofmann left Tupper Lake to manage WHDL at Olean, NY., and subsequently served with a South Bend advertising agency where he was an account executive several years. He returned to New York state two weeks ago.


From the Lake Placid-North Elba Historic Preservation Commission survey, September 30, 1991, Ray Brook Auto Tourist Accommodations section: Pioneer Village, on the north side of Route 86 at the corner of McKenzie Pond Road (the route of the former Old Military Road) is marked by the handsome, L-shaped, two story log office with chalet-style detailing. The one-story rustic cabins, with a total of fourteen rooms, extend east along the road from this main building, but they are principally oriented to an interior square away from the road.

 

 

 

 

Comments