Raquette Falls, 2012 Raquette Falls, 1902, William Henry Jackson Raquette Falls, Seneca Ray Stoddard, (undated) The ranger cabin at Raquette Falls The Raquette River Falls are on the Raquette River three miles north (downstream) of Long Lake, six miles south (upstream) of Axton. There are two falls, each about fifteen feet high, and a narrow gorge filled with fast water that require a difficult one-mile carry for canoers attempting to get from Long Lake to Upper Saranac Lake. The falls are on the route of the Adirondack Canoe Classic 90-mile race, and the carry is one of the most difficult in the race.

The area was added to the Forest Preserve in 1970, and is presently the site of a Department of Environmental Conservation Interior Outpost.

From about 1860 to 1890, it was the site of Mother Johnson's, a hostelry made famous by the books of Adirondack Murray and Seneca Ray Stoddard.

In the 1890s, an old woodsman used a wagon to carry as many as twenty canoes a day over the portage.

George E. Morgan lived at the falls from 1918 to 1944; a plaque set into a boulder commemorates his time there. A later owner was Charles Bryan, Jr., of Chicago, former president of the Pullman Standard Car Company.


Adirondack Daily Enterprise, June 14, 2008, Mike Lynch, "Raquette Falls —a stopping point for centuries"

Adirondack Daily Enterprise, September 3, 1994

The history of Mother Johnson's on Raquette Falls


Perhaps the most renowned canoe trip in all of the Adirondack region is the Old Forge to Saranac Lake route which course follows along a lake-river odyssey of 86 miles. This waterway features an annual race with canoes and guideboats dominating the entries. Starting from Old Forge the boats travel easterly through the Fulton Chain of Lakes, on into and through both Raquette and Forked Lakes, prior to entering the 10- mile strip of Long Lake formed by a widening of the Raquette River.

From the northern tip of Long Lake the boats once again move downstream for a distance of five winding miles of shallow water to reach the tough carry at Raquette Falls, an historic site that this article will focus on. However, the race contestants will continue on to the Stony Creek Ponds, cross over the Indian Carry to Upper Saranac Lake, enter the Saranac River at Bartlett's Carry, and continue on through the Middle and Lower Saranac Lakes. The final leg then continues downstream to reach Lake Flower at Saranac Lake Village.

Returning back upstream to Raquette Falls we reach the foot of the cataract, the lower end of the difficult mile and a quarter carry which has been the nemesis of both the race contestant and tourist alike. Over this distance the river drops a vertical 80 feet studded with huge boulders which necessitates the unpopular carry. Disregarding the warning signs each season a few foolhardy canoeists attempt to run the rapids, a risk which results in smashed boats, loss of equipment, some rock bruises to body parts, and, in one tragic incident, a fatality.

A lumber camp was operating here during the early 1860s and supplies had to come downstream from Long Lake or upstream from Tupper Lake. In order to facilitate transportation over the carry a rough tote road was carved out along the east side of the falls for wagon accommodation. This ancient improvement has long since vanished but the present carry follows its original route.

Some historians surmise that the Tory group led by Sir John Johnson crossed over the carry here during the 1776 flight to reach Canada. Later substantiated visits were reported by the early Adirondack writers who were guided to the area for the excellent hunting and fishing. In his 1849 "Adirondack or Life in the Woods" Joel T. Headley listened to Steve Martin's tales of the fabulous trout fishing to be found at the foot of the falls but elected to turn the boat from Axton to Tupper Lake instead.

Alfred B. Street, New York State law librarian, poet, and writer did report on a trip across the carry in his "Woods and Waters" published in 1860. He told of seeing an abandoned campsite with some remains but no permanent structure of any sort. Certainly many other periodicals, magazines, and newspapers carried stories by lesser known individuals who camped at the base of the falls.

In a former Weekender article in this series we reported on the sojourn of Lady Amelia Murray, who was touring the Adirondacks with Governor Horatio Seymour in 1856. During September the Maid of Honor to Queen Victoria was led across the carry by the party's guide, "Uncle Mart" Moody of Tupper Lake. Here is her account of the trek:

"Upon landing below Raquette Falls, we had a mile and a half of difficult portage; the signs of a trail were at times hardly visible; gigantic timber felled by storms, or by time, crossed the obscure path... each individual of the party straggled on as he or she could with their loads." The adventuresome lady's difficulties were shared by many of the early tourists of the 1800s.

This would be an appropriate time to introduce another venerable lady who gained fame as the hospitable hostess of Raquette Falls. Lucy Johnson, and her husband, Philander, decided to remain at the site of the former lumber camp after the owners moved on. Lucy had been the camp cook and, together with Philander, the pair converted one of the deserted buildings to a lodge. Her expertise in the kitchen combined with a benevolent personality soon brought such prestige to the place that it became well known as Mother Johnson's. And along came Adirondack Murray.

William Henry Harrison Murray was a loquacious minister from Boston and an avid outdoorsman who discovered his own Shangri-la in the remote 1864 Adirondacks. Summering here during several vacations led to the writing of a little book on the subject which drew hordes to the area. Published in 1869 the work bore the title of "Adventures in the Wilderness; or Camp Life in the Adirondacks" and the venture quickly became a success. To the author there was no commonplace experience, every outing had to be superlative, the largest trout, the most exciting hunt, and his guide the best in the woods.

His unforgettable visit to Mother Johnson's bears this out. Lucy Johnson was a rotund, good-natured individual who delighted in serving her wayward guests, as Murray related: "We reached Mother Johnson's at 11:45 p.m, having eaten only a hasty lunch on the way. We aroused the venerable couple and at 1 a.m. sat down to a meal whose quantity and quality are worthy of tradition." Murray goes on to describe the situation as being one that most innkeepers would grumble about, given the late hour. "But not so with Mother Johnson. Bless her soul, how her fat good-natured face glowed with delight as she saw us empty those dishes!" Those dishes, of course, were laden with golden brown pancakes fresh from the griddle. Murray admonished his readers to never go by the place without tasting her pancakes and business boomed at the falls. Some seven years after his visit Lucy Johnson died during the winter of 1875 and was buried next to the lodge in a handmade casket. Plans were made to move her remains in the spring but were never carried out.

Another writer of note was George Washington Sears, better known as Nessmuk, as he turned out articles for Forest & Stream during the early 1880s. In August of 1883 he came to Raquette Falls and still referred to the place as Mother Johnson's although she had died eight years prior to his visit The tough carry did not present a big problem to Nessmuk since the "Sairy Gamp," his tiny Rushton canoe, weighed only 10 and a half pounds!

During the 14 years following the death of Lucy Johnson the place changed hands several times but facilities were always available to those crossing the carry. Such names as Talbot, Lester, McClelland, and DeLancett appear among the innkeepers. While Martin Talbot reigned a flotilla of guideboats came upstream carrying nine members of the state Legislature and their guides. The year was 1898 and the members of the Assembly were on an investigative tour of the Adirondacks to ascertain which parcels of land should be added to the Forest Preserve. Stopping for dinner the guests were served "trout" but Martin V.B. Ives, who lived downstream at Colton, recognized the fish as Raquette River pike.

Titled "DeLancett House," this photograph was included in an article on Mother Johnson's. inn at Raquette Falls.
However,the name "Delancett House" is generally associated with Charles Delancett's "Lake View Farm," on Stetson Road.
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, September 3, 1994
In 1910 Charles DeLancett took over and built a "hotel" at the foot of the falls using wood frame construction for the two-story building which featured a two-sided verandah. He ran a team of horses with a wagon to carry boats and passengers over the carry. DeLancett ran the lodge for a few years before selling out to George Morgan in 1919. Morgan was a New York City lawyer who had visited the falls as a child and maintained a strong attraction to the area. He formed a small group of friends into the Raqette Falls Club to enjoy the excellent hunting and fishing nearby. In 1934 a fire claimed the lodge and Morgan immediately had a log building erected on the spot He was very well liked by both guides and guests and proved to be as generous and considerate as his predecessor Mother Johnson. In his later years Morgan, lived alone at the lodge year round.

While sharing dinner with a pair of canoeists in 1944 Morgan suddenly collapsed and died at the age of 74. He had spent 26 years at the falls and was sorely missed. He, too, was buried at the site and his grave is well marked with a fitting epitaph in bronze.

With Morgan's passing the property was purchased by his close friend, Charles W. Bryan Jr., the retired president of the Pullman Railroad Car Co. While enjoying his occupancy at the falls Morgan wrote a very readable story titled "The Raquette — River of the Forest"

Tupper Lake Free Press and Herald, January 26, 2005


Notes on a Proud Past with Attention to Future Annals

Bill Frenette, [Tupper Lake] town historian

One of only several remaining interior ranger stations in the Adirondack Park is located at Racquette Falls [sic]. The station located there is a handsome log and stone structure with polished wooden floors and hand crafted furniture. A striking stone fireplace helps lend a Great Camp Arts and Crafts look to the main room, which is kept faultlessly neat by its bachelor seasonal ranger. A small office and efficient kitchen share the rear of the building with a small bedroom and a larger bunkroom designed to house personnel in the event of a fire or other emergency efforts.

I would add to this description of the cabin a point of historical interest and recognition. This is done because certain occurrences need to be recorded and deserved recognition is often overlooked. [sic] For example, that fireplace was built by my former classmate and long time friend, Howard Reandeau, who at the time of construction was the D.E.C. caretaker at the "Falls."

Howard (Wigs) was a skilled stone mason and his masterful work graces many of the pretentious homes and residences in this area, not to mention his exceptional work along with other local artisans such as Washington Street resident Tony Rovito. that is so highly admired throughout the grounds and buildings of the Adirondack Museum at Blue Mt. Lake. It should be noted that the same that was used for the fireplace and chimney at the ranger station was not, as might be expected, of native origin. Rather it originated in Tennessee and arrived here on a freight train and was offloaded at a siding off Mill Street and trucked to Blue Mtn. Lake. It was originally acquired because of its outstanding color and form and was a specific requirement in the architectural plans for various exhibits and buildings at the monumental and world museum, which was then undergoing construction.

When there was no longer any need for the stone at the museum, the surplus was made available to the D.E.C. through the generosity of the museum and Chet Johnson of this village, whose firm W.C. Johnson and Sons began the original museum construction in 1955. The stone for the station was then transported to Coreys by truck and men, over the winter, sledged into the clearing on what is today's foot trail.

Chet Johnson had a special affection for the clearing and for the river. He was a friend to several of the previous owners when it was privately owned and for many years had a platform tent camp a short distance downstream where Palmer Brook enters the river. Chet will also be remembered for the countless hours that he toiled with others, over the years, removing hundreds of partially submerged river drive logs to improve navigation on the river's twisting course. Can you imagine his indignation today over the proposal to ban motors on his beloved river? (Even as he would severely condemn the yahoos whose reckless and inconsiderate behavior with their motor boats threaten that traditional privilege).

Some sort of dwelling has existed in the clearing since about 1860. [date not clear] It was once much larger than is today and at one early time, around 1860, was the headquarters and supply depot for goods brought up from this village and destined for use there and the many remote lumber camps in the Calkins Brook and Cold River area. After the lumber operations ended, successive owners maintained a lodge and cabins and offered boarding and transport services. More on those owners in a later column, but let me tell you about meeting the last private owner before it was acquired by New York State.

A number of years ago Dave LaVoy and I, not having any luck decided to try the upper falls of the river. Here we experienced incredible luck catching our limit of large speckled trout. There wasn't supposed to be trout in the river, but we didn't know that! The pool, below the falls was thick with white foam, not unlike the head on a fine glass of Guiness Stout. Almost each cast of our lure into that foam produced a fat trout, strong and wild and landing those fighting beauties, our reels screaming in protest as the trout made long runs and sought the fast current below the pool was an experience Dave and I will always remember as one of the best days in a lifetime of fishing Having finished fishing, we headed back to the clearing and on the trail we met an older gentleman and as wood travelers often do, we fell into conversation. I remember that he was skeptical about our fabulous catch. Only when we opened our creels did he acknowledge ours was no fish late. He told us, that day, that he had known the river for almost forty years and that to the best of his knowledge, an invasion of pike had long ago cleaned out any trout. He wondered out loud if the recent high water had flushed trout into the river from its Cold River tributary, a known trout fishery.

Earlier that day, while returning from Dawson on the old supply haulroad, I had found a large handsome leather portfolio, or wallet, laced with protected multiple sleeves of beautiful trout flies. I took the case from my pack and asked the older gent if it could belong to him. If I had returned a gold Rolex watch, he could not have been more overjoyed, nor I suspect, more surprised. We were, after all, a couple of smelly, rough-looking customers.

That gentleman turned out to be Charles Byran Jr. [sic] of Chicago, former president of the Pullman Standard Car Mfg. Co. and a distinguished engineer. At the time of our meeting he was the owner of the Racquette Falls, Racquette Falls clearing, the lodge and cabins there and along with Mrs. Byran had been a summer visitor to the area since the early 1920's. Mr. Byran died in 1966 in Chicago. In 1970, Mrs. Byran sold the 89.2 acre parcel to New York State. Two years later, the Racquette Falls Lodge, built in 1934 for George Morgan by Ross Freeman of Coreys, was destroyed in a spectacular night fire which broke out in the generator room of the two story log structure. The D.E.C. interior ranger residence is near the footprint of that former lodge.

Racquette Falls is a unique, charming, magnetic place. From the early Tupper Lake lumbermen 145 years ago, it has commanded a special niche in our local history…

Tupper Lake Free Press and Herald, December 17, 1970

Switch to State Ownership of Raquette Falls Tract Recalls Colorful Story of Life on Empire State's 'last Frontier"

After well over a century in private ownership, the carry trail area bordering Raquette Falls, "last frontier'' of the Empire State, was incorporated into the Adirondack Forest Preserve on April 2, 1970, when it was "acquired by appropriation, pursuant to Sec. 1-0503 of the Conservation Law".

The 89.6-acre parcel known as the George Morgan Estate lies in Township 26, Great Tract 1, Macomb's Purchase, in the Town of Harrietstown, Franklin County. It has seen the passage of man, red and white— for centuries, the Raquette River having constituted the only highway open to travel through this region of the Adirondacks from time immemorial. It remains today the only feasible route, and canoe parties still paddle to the white water area and pack their gear over the carry trail, much as their predecessors did over the centuries. Acquisition of the Raquette Falls parcel by the state from Mrs. Charles W. Byran Jr. of Chicago, ensures that travel over the carry trail, which climbs a ridge looking steeply down into the foaming rapids between the upper and lower falls, will remain open in perpetuity to wilderness lovers.

Records of travel through this region prior to Civil War times are rare, although it certainly knew the tread of visitors who wore moccasins and toted birch bark canoes, and after them, the first white trappers and hunters, and the surveyors who ran the lines of the Macomb Purchase in the 1790s. Sportsmen began penetrating the region in the 1840s. In 1856 one of its more distinguished parties camped overnight below Raquette Falls. It included the Hon. Amelia M. Murray, maid of honor to Queen Victoria, and Governor Horatio Seymour of New York State, and among its guides was one destined to achieve fame as an Adirondack raconteur and teller of tall tales, and to leave his mark in the early development of the Tupper Lake region, "Uncle Mart" Moody. Lady Murray, first white woman to traverse the Adirondacks, told of that memorable trip in her book "Letters from the United States, Cuba and Canada", published in 1856.

More than a century ago Raquette Falls acquired its first permanent residents. It's an interesting commentary on the "forever wild" policy of the Adirondack Forest Preserve that a region which had a population of two back in 1860 is totally uninhabited in 1970.

Those first year-round residents were Philander Johnson and his wife, Lucy A. Johnson, who came in from Newcomb just before the outbreak of the Civil War and built a crude log house near the foot of the falls, where they catered to the needs of passing sportsmen, trappers and loggers for food and shelter. In 1868 they entertained a visitor who gave Raquette Falls and its "hostess" a measure of immortality, the Rev. William H. H. "Adirondack" Murray, guided by John Plumley of Long Lake, who routed Mother Johnson and her husband out of bed shortly before midnight, and were treated quantity and quality are worthy of tradition", and in his book "Adventures in the Wilderness, or Camp-Life in the Adirondacks", which is credited with touching off the first great rush of visitors to this region. "Adirondack" Murray adjured his readers to "never go by Mother Johnson's without tasting her pancakes, and when you leave, leave with her an extra dollar".

S. R. Stoddard's 1875 edition of his Adirondack guide book carried a woodcut of "Mother" Johnson and a. sketch of the house at the falls, with the notation "here she and her husband pick up many dollars during the season from travelers, who seldom pass without getting at least one meal", evidence of the advertising power of the Rev. Murray's book. Stoddard commented that while Mr. Johnson picked up $1.50 for dragging boats and luggage over the carry trail, his wife cashed in on the opportunity to convert her pancakes into greenbacks.

Death came to Raquette Falls for the first time on record on January 27, quantity and quality are worthy of tradition", and in his book "Adventures in the Wilderness, or Camp-Life in the Adirondacks", which is credited with touching off the first great rush of visitors to this region. "Adirondack" Murray adjured his readers to "never go by Mother Johnson's without tasting her pancakes, and when you leave, leave with her an extra dollar". S. R. Stoddard's 1875 edition of his Adirondack guide book carried a woodcut of "Mother" Johnson I and a. sketch of the house at the falls, with the notation "here she and her husband pick up many dollars during the season from travelers, who seldom pass with-out getting at least one meal", —evidence of the advertising power of the Rev. Murray's book. Stoddard commented that while Mr. Johnson picked up $1.50 for dragging boats and luggage over the carry trail, his wife cashed in on the opportunity to convert her pancakes into greenbacks. Death came to Raquette Falls for the first time on record on January 27, 1875. Stoddard recorded the event as a footnote in his 1875 edition: "Mother Johnson died Jan. 27, 1875 after a short illness, and at the desire of her husband, was buried on a little knoll back of the house, where he also will lie when done with earthly things. The snow was so deep at the time as to make the way almost impossible, and but three, besides the family, were present, but with their aid, the body was laid away, with no ceremony save the sad goodby of those who loved her".

A little more light on the passing of this first "resident" of Raquette Falls is shed by a letter written at Bartlett's Carry, between Round Lake and Upper Saranac Lake, by Joseph D. Carr and published in Forest and Stream. It is dated Jan. 23, 1875, indicating that Stoddard was a few days off in placing the date of Mother Johnson's death as January 27 of that year, Carr wrote that "On Tuesday, the 19th, after dinner, Mother Johnson complained of not feeling well, but was not considered seriously sick until Thursday night. Then she gradually failed. During Friday she expressed a desire to be buried at Long Lake, and at 11 o'clock the same night, she quietly passed away, those in the room not knowing when she had left them. Harney, the Frenchman who had driven the oxen on the carry for the past two years, immediately started down the Raquette. He was joined at Calkins' place by Mr. Wood. They came through to William Dukett's, on the Indian Carry, on snowshoes. Mr. Dukette brought them here (Bartlett's). and they got the boards for the coffin, which Mr. Dukett made. They will bury her at the foot of Raquette Falls, until the river opens up, when she will be buried at Long Lake".

"Mother" Johnson's wish for burial at Long Lake was never fulfilled. A marker on the knoll behind Raquette Falls lodge marks her last resting place still. (Continued in our next issue)

Tupper Lake Free Press and Herald, December 24, 1970

Story of Raquette Falls Recalled as Area Is Added to Ad'k Forest Preserve

(We conclude herewith a sketch of the Raquette Falls carry tract, which was added earlier this year to the Adirondack Forest Preserve after more than a century in private ownership. The first installment carried through the death at Raquette Falls in 1875 of "Mother" Johnson).

Without his better known help mate and her celebrated pancakes. Philander Johnson soon gave up his lonely wilderness hostelry, leaving the area in 1876 The records on his successors at Raquette Falls are rather sketchy. Stoddard's early Adirondack guide books indicate that Geoge W. Walton ran the place from 1886 to 1890. William McClelland had it during the years 1891 1894. Martin Talbot came in from Minerva and ran the place from 1894 to 1900. The old hotel register which he kept during those years carries the names of some well known visitors, among them "Seneca Ray" Stoddard, pioneer Adirondack photographer, and Martin Van Buren Ives, who recorded his impressions of the proprietor and the lodge in his account of an 1898 junket through the wilderness with a party of state legislators in his book "Through the Adirondack in 18 Days". His impressions of the Squire of Raquette Falls were not altogether complimentary. Ives wrote that their boats were hauled over the carry by ox teams, and added "We were met at the landing by a farmer like, good-natured, big bodied man by the name of Martin Talbert (sic), who sought an opportunity to relate several stereo-typed yarns, in such manner as to convince us that be did not believe them himself. We were informed that he was comparatively a newcomer there, and not having shed all the hayseed from his hair, his stories were less interesting than they would have been had he been to the manner born. He served us an excellent dinner, however on the menu of which were brook trout, but upon close inspection it was found that the trout were Raquette River pickerel, caught by the committee on the way up".

Of the Raquette Falls area Ives wrote "About a half mile up the river from the Talbert house are located Raquette Falls, which have no very striking attraction, except to the student of geology, for the twisted, warped and cracked appearance of the ledge just below the falls suggests volcanic action much more than at any other place I have noticed in the Adirondack. The rocks there are metamorphic. and of a schistous, shaly character, showing evidence of sonic remote convulsive shock".

Charles DeLancett of Tupper I.ake took over the property after Talbot, and ran it until 1915. His daughter. Mrs. Gladys LaQuay of Tupper Lake recalled in 1967 that "all that remained of the original buildings was a lone one story shack and a blacksmith shop. Dad set up a large dining tent in front of the shack, and twelve or more tents on good, solid platforms, for guests, of which there were plenty, for many of our old patrons who had stayed with us at Forester's Inn, Axton, now came to us at Raquette Falls". Mr. DeLancett erected a comfortable frame lodge on the site of the original log hotel about 1910.

Failing health forced him to give up the place, which was acquired in 1919 as a summer home by George Morgan, a New York City attorney whose father, Charles N. Morgan, began bringing him to the Adirondacks as a child and who first glimpsed Raquette Falls on a canoe trip in the 1890s, a case of "love at first sight" which continued throughout the remainder of his life.

George Morgan organized the Raquette Falls Club, and spent the last twenty years of his life as a permanent resident there. Fire destroyed the lodge built by Charles DeLancett in 1934, and on its site the present attractive lodge was built by Ross Freeman of Coreys. There George Morgan , lived out his remaining years. delighting in his books, some 2,000 of which filled a log cabin on the , knoll behind the lodge, and in his friends, many of whom left records in print of his genial hospitality. There too, on Sept 20, 1944, death came for a second time to Raquette Falls.

Billy Burger, in his column, "The Adirondacker" in the Adirondack Record, published at Ausable Forks wrote "The last act of George Martin's life was completely characteristic. A young couple came by, and he invited them to spend the night with him. and help him eat a steak he’d just bought in Tupper Lake. He was broke and lonesome, and as graciously generous as ever. During dinner that night, he died. Mrs. Burger and I found his body on the floor the next noon when we paddled down from Plumley’s on Long Lake to have lunch with him.  His mortal remains lie in a grave in front of his cabin, behind the lodge, and his spirit will linger at Raquette Falls for many a moon".

Charles W. Bryan, Jr., of Chicago, former president of the Pullman Standard Car Manufacturing Co. and a distinguished engineer, owned the Raquette Falls tract during its closing years in private tenancy. Mr. Bryan came to the area first as a summer visitor in the early 1920s. His love for the region was given practical expression in 1964 when he wrote and published the first definitive study of the Raquette River from its source to the St. Lawrence, entitled "The Raquette-- River of the Forest". Mr. Bryan died March 15,1966, in Chicago.

A picture of life as the last tenants of Adirondack Lodge lived it was offered in the Henderson, Ky. "Gleaner and Journal" (Aug 12. 1962). in an article by Cyrene Dear, who wrote:

"Raquette Falls Lodge is probably the last isolated outpost in the Adirondack Mountains of New York State. It is owned by Charles and Mary Bryan, who spend four months of the year there, from May until late September. "When they first go up in late spring they literally unbury the place, after it has been shut up for the winter. With his engineering skill, Charles has brought modern appliances to the Lodge. He has his own generator, which provides electricity for a few hours in the evening . . . Modern plumbing has added to the comfort in the cabins and main building. A Jeep which had to be brought up in sections by motor boat provides the lord of the manor with a machine to tour his estate, and | aluminum boats and canoes now take the place of the old scow which used to bring passengers and freight up the river. Mary's province is the garden, which is fenced to keep the deer, rabbits and other animals from destroying it. With the help of two seasoned Adirondack frontiersmen, she supervises the tilling and fertilizing and the planting the vegetables which provide the succulent salads and wholesome diet for her guests. Being a Ph.D. in chemistry and formerly the professor of institutional management at Columbia University Teachers College, she runs Raquette Falls Lodge with culinary perfection and expert routine".

After the death of her husband in 1966 Mrs. Bryan continued to summer at Raquette Falls for several years. Her decision to dispose of the property to the state this year brought to a close more than a century of private ownership. No public announcement has yet been made of what disposition is planned of the lodge and outbuildings ... It is probable that the two who once dispensed hospitality there and enjoyed the lonely beauty of the area, "Mother" Johnson and George Morgan will continue to repose where they were laid to rest many years ago.