The Reception Hospital, also known as the Prescott House, opened in 1905, was originally intended as a clearing house for seriously ill patients, sending them on to other sanatoria as their conditions and/or finances permitted, hence the name "Reception Hospital". This function was first carried out in a small nursing cottage on Front Street that had been established at the request of Dr. E. L. Trudeau, to deal with patients too ill for admittance to the Adirondack Cottage Sanitarium, which admitted only incipient cases. The need for more beds for patients too ill and poor for existing facilities prompted Mary Prescott, at the urging of Dr. Trudeau, to build the Reception Hospital; Prescott personally subsidized the operating expenses of the hospital to allow for the care of poor patients. It was designed by the new architectural firm of Scopes and Feustmann, who entered and won a competition to design it. The Colonial Revival-style Reception Hospital was located at the north end of Franklin Avenue.
Over time, conditions changed, and it began taking patients for longer periods, and treating fewer per year; in 1943 its name was changed to Prescott House, in honor of its benefactor. By 1949, a shortage of funds led to the closing of the hospital, and the trustees sought another use for the building. The Saranac Lake Study and Craft Guild was in need of additional space, and on March 27, 1950, the building and all other assets of the Hospital were given to the Guild.
The Guild maintained a center there for several years, offering business education, academic and technical subjects, including X-ray technician training in addition to the traditional arts and crafts courses. However, the development of effective antibiotic treatments for tuberculosis led to a gradual reduction in the number of patients interested in the Guild's offerings, and courses were dropped until only the X-ray school was left. On October 9, 1968, Prescott House was given to the newly formed North Country Community College; the X-ray program became part of the curriculum. However, the college decided that, due to the building's need of maintenance and its distance from the campus, it would put the property up for public auction.
- Adirondack Daily Enterprise, March 23, 1979
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, April 2, 1958
Dr. Bristol Talks To Five Guild Graduates
Dr. Packard Makes Diploma Presentation
Dr. Leonard J. Bristol, radiologist of the Saranac Lake Rehabilit ation Guild, last night presented the members of Class 16, graduating unit of the Guild General X-ray Technicians course, that the job of the X-ray technician was much more than that of taking pictures.
Addressing the group in ceremonies at Prescott House, Dr. Bristol urged the graduates to give thought to the work that they must do and to exercise the human approach in their relationship with patients. Patients, he said, are generally an ill and worried lot which demands the utmost in kindness and understanding on the part of the X-ray technicians.
The diplomas, presented by Dr. Edward N. Packard, medical director of the Guild, went to Richard Abbott, of Bradford, Pa.; Nancy Garey, Plains, Pa.; Lee Mortland, Clarion, Pa.; Anthony Struzzeri, Moosic, Pa. and Edward L. Tobin, of Lockport, N.Y.
A dinner at the Elks club preceded the graduation exercises.
The graduates have completed 13 weeks of study at Prescott House and 35 weeks of training at cooperative hospitals in northern New York.
Following graduation, Tobin will associate with the St. Joseph Hospital at Syracuse; Miss Garey will take a position with Highland Hospital at Rochester while Mortland will join the staff of the Acme Silver company at Washington, D. C. Abbot and Struzzeri have several positions offered but have made no decision in the matter.
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, November 5, 1968
Prescott House, long a haven for tubercular patients, has been bought by Chet Fobare and Dick Yorkey, and they have already begun the enormous task of repairing and refurbishing. Fourteen windows were installed over the weekend being the first of many necessary jobs. Student occupancy is not certain at this time as there is a great deal of plumbing to be done such as new bathrooms and showers; additional closets, too. And there will be recreational areas on both the first and second floors. The new owners, doing most of the work themselves, plan to do the work well so there will be no necessity for redoing it !next year. Good luck, Chet and Dick, Many are eager to see the grand old house on the hill brought back to its former beauty and dignity, and nothing could be more fitting than a dormitory for college girls.
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, March 23, 1979
For 44 years a handsome brick neo-colonial building at 5 Franklin Ave., designed by Saranac Lake architects Scopes and Feustmann, welcomed and cared for Tuberculosis patients. Erected in 1905, it was the outgrowth of a small nursing cottage on Front Street which has been opened at the request of Dr. Edward L. Trudeau with funds provided by one of his former patients, Mary R. Prescott.
Its purpose was to serve as a semi-charitable clearning house for the seriously ill, sending them on to other sanatoria or nursing cottages in the area as their health and circumstances permitted. Thus it became known as the Reception Hospital.
But with changing conditions the term of stay was greatly lengthened and the number of patients treated each year greatly reduced, so in 1943 its name was officially changed to Prescott House in honor of its founder and benefactress.
By 1949, according to a history written by Miss Prescott, "shortage of funds to meet increased costs, shortage of nurses and other shortages compelled closing the hospital" and the trustees sought an appropriate use for the beautiful property on Helen Hill overlooking the Saranac River and Mt. Baker.
Coincidentally another unique Saranac Lake institution was seeking expanded quarters. The Saranac Lake Study and Craft Guild had been offering facilities and instructions for the rehabilitation of tubercular patients since 1936. Starting at the bedside and following through medical discharge and a return to employment, Guild counselors and instructors were available to all patients in the public and private sanatoria in the 150-mile square area around Saranac Lake.
With new understanding of the importance of rehabilitation as an aid to recovery and an assurance against relapse, the guild quarters at 100 Main St. became critically inadequate. On March 27, 1950, on the recommendation of Miss Prescott, the board of trustees of Prescott House designated the Saranac Lake Study and Craft Guild the recipient of all real estate and personal property of Prescott House, along with an unspecified amount of cash assets.
For a number of years the guild maintained a lively center there, offering a full schedule of courses in arts and crafts, business education, academic and technical subjects, including an outstanding training program for X-Ray technicians.
But advances in the treatment of tuberculosis signalled, if not an immediate end of the disease, at least an end to the need for extended care in sanatoria or nursing cottages. Gradually the number of patients curing in the area declined, and courses at the Guild were dropped until only the X-Ray school remained.
On Oct. 9, 1968, Prescott House was given to North Country Community College where an associate degree in X-Ray Technology became a part of the curriculum. However since Prescott House was at some distance from the main campus and in great need of repair, the college put the building up for public bid.
On Jan. 4, 1969, Chester Fobare and Richard Yorkey took possession. After extensive repairs and renovation, the doors of Prescott House opened once again, this time as a girls' dormitory for North Country Community College students. It is still operating in that capacity, loved and cherished today as in the past by all who reside there.
The research on this building was completed by Dorothy Fobare, a member of Historic Saranac Lake. If you have any additional information of its history or structure, especially the name of the builder, please pass it on to her or the Saranac Lake Free Library.