William R. SlaterThe Santanoni Aparments, c. 1920, from an undated brochure by E. L. Gray & Co., c. 1920. Courtesy of Natalie Leduc. Adirondack Daily Enterprise, December 14, 1996 Santanoni Apartments, 1930s Address: 36 Church Street

Old Address: 36 Church Street

Year built: c. 1913

Architect: Scopes and Feustmann

Other information: The Santanoni was the most luxurious apartment building in Saranac Lake. Among its tenants were Kathleen McFarlane Hammond, Christy Mathewson and Elizabeth Comstock, whose daughter, Elizabeth Mooney, wrote of her mother's cure in In the Shadow of the White Plague.

The Santanoni was purchased by Arthur W. Hay from William H. Scopes in 1954.

The fourth and fifth stories, along with the magnificent slate roof, were destroyed by a fire in 1973. The Santanoni has been rehabilitated and in 2009 houses the offices of the Adirondack Explorer, its owners, and a number of rental apartments.

 


Adirondack Daily Enterprise, October 20, 1954

THE SANTANONI CHANGES HANDS

William H. Scopes last night signed a contract for the sale of The Santanoni with Arthur W. Hay, Harold D. Humpstone and Dr. E.D. Plass, climaxing 41 years of his management of the apartment sanatorium.

Mr. Scopes designed and built the structure in 1912 and opened it in June 1913. The sanatorium's purpose was to provide superior accommodations in the way of com[plete?] apartments for patients in Saranac Lake.

It has been licensed by the Con[?] Board of Health as a sanatorium. Since intensive bed rest was inaugurated by local physicians, nursing care has been provided at the option of the patients.

The new owners intend to continue operation and give the same service that has been rendered in the past.

Mr. Hay has been acting manager of the apartment sanatorium for several months and with The Sanatanoni all his working life. Mr. Humpstone and Dr. Plass entered the merger to assure themselves the comforts that have been available in the past. They have both resided at The Santanoni for a number of years.

 

Adirondack Daily Enterprise, November 15, 1926 Floor plan, from the Journal of Outdoor Life, January, 1914, p. 2

Source

  • Gallos, Philip L., Cure Cottages of Saranac Lake, Historic Saranac Lake, 1985. ISBN 0-9615159-0-2
  • Mooney, Elizabeth, In the shadow of the White Plague : a memoir, New York : Crowell, 1979

Other historic properties

Comments


2009-04-05 13:19:32   Amazingly, this is one of the few street addresses in Saranac Lake that was not changed as a result of the E-911 re-numbering done in the early years of the new century. —MaryHotaling

Reader Mike Henry of Rochester, NY, who studying at N.C.C.C. in 1973, was a resident there  when the Easter holiday fire occurred.