1905 USGS map, Saint Regis, Quadrangle, showing Spectacle Ponds
The Spectacle Ponds are a pair of ponds of 36 and 48 acres, separated from Upper St. Regis Lake by a narrow ridge, or esker, upon which Marjorie Merriweather Post built the lavish compound Camp Topridge in 1923. The name comes from the their resemblance, on a map, to a pair of spectacles; they are separated by less than a hundred yards. They lie at the eastern foot of St. Regis Mountain in Keese Mills.

New York Times, July 12, 1908

...Mr. and Mrs. Albert N. Wycherly of New York are spending their honeymoon at Mr. Wycherly's day camp on Spectator Ponds [sic] and Hotel Wawbeek....