Starting in 1934, Sugar Bush and Vermontville sent their high school students to Saranac Lake High School by bus; Merrillsville, Loon Lake, Onchiota and Franklin Falls later did the same. Private bus companies brought the students to and from Saranac Lake until the town's districts centralized with Saranac Lake in 1968. Then the one-room schoolhouses closed and the younger children were bussed to Saranac Lake as well. Some of the school buildings burned, and some were sold, while others fell into disrepair and were destroyed.

Source: