Address: 51 Broadway
Old Address: 60-66 Broadway
Year built: 1925
In 1924, the U.S. Postal Service constructed a new post office at 60-66 Broadway in Saranac Lake. Post Office construction was resuming slowly following World War I. The design of public buildings then was the responsibility of the Treasury Department, and the emphasis was on standard design and construction economy. This building replaced the previous Saranac Lake Post Office at 69 Main Street (old address).
In the late 20th century the Post Office conducted an historic survey of post offices that included post offices in this area. While the Lake Placid P.O. was listed as an historic building, Saranac Lake's was disqualified (according to the memory of one witness) based on the warm yellow color that the trim had been painted (it has since been repainted in white) and the intrusive handicapped-accessible ramp that had been constructed to the left of the front entrance. That ramp has since been replaced with a lower one to the right which takes advantage of the slope of the site.
Adirondack Record, January 11, 1918
SARANAC LAKE NOW FIRST CLASS POSTOFFICE
Saranac Lake now has a postoffice of the first class, having handled a volume of business of $40,178.50 during the year 1917. To become a first class postoffice that office must handle a business of $40,000 or over during the year. In 1900 the office in the mountain metropolis became a second class postoffice. The Saranac Lake Postoffice is the only first class office in Franklin county.
The following information is from the files of Edna Finn, Town and Village Historian.
SARANAC LAKE POST OFFICE, FRANKLIN COUNTY, NEW YORK
Originally established as HARRIETS TOWN.
|Alanson B. Neal||Postmaster||8/11/1849|
|William F. Martin||Postmaster||1/21/1851|
Changed to SARANAC LAKE on June 18, 1853.
|William F. Martin||Postmaster||7/05/1861|
|Chester W. Peck||Postmaster||2/18/1865|
|Louisa E. Morgan||Postmaster||7/10/1866|
|Andrew J. Baker||Postmaster||1/2/1868|
|Louisa E. Morgan||Postmaster||2/1/1869|
|Milo B. Miller||Postmaster||7/24/1871. Miller apparently built the first real post office in his 44 Main Street store.|
|John Herbert Miller||Postmaster||7/20/1885|
|William F. Roberts||Postmaster||12/6/1889|
|Charles S. Gay||Postmaster||3/3/1899|
|Richard H. McIntyre||Postmaster||4/8/1904|
|Walter E. Johnson||Postmaster||1/25/1912|
|Cornelius J. Carey||Postmaster||6/2/1916|
|James A. Latour||Postmaster||10/26/1921|
|Fred C. Conrad||Acting Postmaster||7/22/1929|
|Fred C. Conrad||Postmaster||11/20/1929|
|Daniel S. Foster||Acting Postmaster||6/1/1935|
|Daniel S. Foster||Postmaster||1/20/1936|
|Thomas P. Ward||Acting Postmaster||2/28/1941|
|Thomas P. Ward||Postmaster||11/25/1941|
|Mrs. Madeline F. Ward||Postmaster||3/31/1943|
|Thomas P. Ward||Postmaster||6/30/1945|
|John F. Campion||Acting Postmaster||5/15/1964|
|John F. Campion||Postmaster||8/30/1965|
|Frank W. Smith||Postmaster||3/24/1990|