Born: September 6, 1858, in Brooklyn

Died: December 8, 1934. Buried in Valley Cemetery, Park Co., Wyoming.

(An unidentified newspaper clipping gives the date as December 8, 1932, in Cody, Wyoming)

Married: Caroline Louisa Nash

Children: Walter Nash Larom and Henry Van Bergen Larom

Walter Haskins Larom was the priest at St. Luke's Episcopal Church from 1889 to 1909. He lived at the St. Luke's Rectory until 1905, and then at the Larom Cottage at 112 Park Avenue. As a member or members, Walter H. Larom and his wife, Caroline, were named in the sale of Pontiac Club property to the Saranac Lake Boys' Club, Inc., in 1917.

Malone Farmer, November 10, 1909

Rev. Walter H. Larom, rector of St. Luke's at Saranac Lake, has decided to retire from the rectorship there on December first on account of poor health and the increasing work of the parish. He has been very successful in his labors there where he has been located for 20 years. He will continue to reside in that village, confining himself to his duties as archdeacon of the archdeaconry of Ogdensburg.

Clipping from a newspaper headed Adir. . . , perhaps from a scrapbook


Funeral service for the Rev. Walter H. Larom, who for 20 years was rector of St. Luke's church and one of the community's most distinguished citizens, is being held today at Christ's Church, Cody, Wyoming.

Mr. Larom died Saturday of a heart attack at his ranch located approximately 40 miles from Cody. It is believed he was 75 years of age.

Mr. Larom came to Saranac Lake as a health seeker in 1889 from Hudson and Clavarack [sic], where he held parishes. The following year he received his official call to this parish which he held until 1910.

It was largely through his efforts that the parish house and rectory of the church were built, and the organ now in use at St. Luke's was installed.

While here he built three residences in the Highland Park section.

He was actively interested in the social and civic life of the community, and was particularly enthusiastic over the winter carnival, which in those days was sponsored and staged by well-to-do residents here, and was one of the most colorful features of winter sports life. He was a skillful hunter and fisherman and was concerned with many aspects of sports in Saranac Lake.

He took a keen interest in the development of the library which was then called the Adirondack library and was located in the parish house of the church. The library was then the property of the church and contained 4,000 volumes. He was also popular in the summer life of the St. Regis lake colony at Paul Smith's

During his early years here he met and married Miss Caroline Nash of Liverpool, England, who was in Saranac Lake with her brother, a health seeker. Two children were born of the union, Henry Larom, who survives, and a second son, who died in infancy.

Mr. Larom received his education at St. Stephen's college where he was a classmate of the late Rt. Rev. Richard Nelson, who became bishop of the Albany diocese of the Episcopal church. They remained close friends throughout life.

During the concluding eight or nine years of his residence here Mr. Larom was arch-deacon of Ogdensburg.

The Laroms left Saranac Lake in 1920, this being the last parish Mr. Larom held. Since then they have divided their time between their ranch near Cody, and Florida where they spent the winters.

Mrs. Larom was with her husband at the time of his death. Their son, who resides in New York, flew to Cody to be present at the funeral. Where burial will take place could not be learned this morning.