Werle Cottage Werle Cottage sign Address: 129 Main Street

Old Address: 110 Main Street, originally 112 Main Street before the Werle Town House, which originally sat beside it, was moved.

Other names: Dr. Outwater Cottage (1911) DIS

Year built: c. 1880

One of two cure cottages operated together as the Werle Cottages; for more on the operation of the two, see the article Werle Cottages by Phil Gallos.

The land on which the Werle Cottages stood belonged to farmer George Washer and his wife Emily Washer, as early as 1875. Their daughter, Emma married Warren J. Slater, a guide, built the house by 1879. It was subsequently enlarged to about four times its original size, with several added wings and fourteen cure porches.

Edward LaBounty, a livery owner, and his wife, Mary Jane Snye, purchased the property, and ran it as a private sanatorium.

In August, 1923, 2 Church Street was acquired by two women who had become friends while curing at the Meagher Cottage, Aletta Werle and Jane Schneidawind. Two years later, they leased 110 Main Street, buying it outright in May, 1929. Although Jane Schneidawind was the business manager of the operation, the two cottages were advertised as "The Werle Cottages."

Aletta Werle handled the kitchen, and the food was considered to be excellent, and the cottages well-run. Originally, both cottages were boarding cottages, but after the move, 110 Main became a nursing cottage, and 2 Church became an annex, for ambulatory patients who would walk to take their meals at the other cottage.

In 1943, the friends lost both buildings in foreclosure, for reasons unknown. Both have subsequently been converted to apartments.


See also