Lake Placid News, April 14, 1916 The Western Union Telegraph Company was at 2 Broadway in the 1930s and '40s, and at the Berkeley Hotel in the 1950s.

According to Howard Riley, who delivered telegrams by bicycle after school, during World War II, there was a full-time Western Union Telegraph Company office, operated by Thomas Leahy, at 90 Main Street, adjacent today to the Blue Line Sports Shop. 

Telegraphy was an important means of communication in the early days of Saranac Lake.

Comments