Born: c. 1874
Died: April 7, 1961
Married: Lena E. Palmer
Children: Dr. Leroy Wardner
Dr. William A. Wardner practiced medicine in Franklin County for 55 years, delivering some six thousand babies. His son, also a doctor, practiced with him for ten years. Dr. Wardner played the sport of curling.
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, January 21, 1955
Dr. William Wardner Retires; Leaving S.L
Dr. William A. Wardner, one of Saranac Lake's most beloved physicians has retired from practice and left today for West Hartford, Conn., to make his home with his son, Dr. LeRoy H. Wardner, and family.
The physician's retirement terminates 55 years of practice of medicine—25 years of which were spent in St. Regis Falls and 30 years in Saranac Lake.
With his father, the late Dr. LeRoy M. Wardner, who began medical practice in Dickenson Center, Brushton, in 1870, he has contributed to some 50 years of medical service to the people of Franklin County.
Dr. Wardner was graduated from Albany Medical College in 1899 and opened his medical practice in St. Regis Falls at that time.
The general practitioner came to Saranac Lake in 1925 and opened offices at 38 Church street, where he also made his home.
The doctor was married in 1901 to the former Lena E. Palmer, of Upper Jay, who died on April 24, 1952. The couple had marked their 50th wedding anniversary on Jan. 29, 1951.
On July 16, 1937, Dr. Wardner's son, Dr. LeRoy H. Wardner, joined his father for the practice of general medicine and surgery. The younger doctor was associated with his father for ten years prior to moving to West Hartford and taking additional medical study. Dr. Wardner was then joined here in partnership by Dr. Richard P. Bellaire who will continue the practice at the same address. Dr. Wardner will retain his apartment at 38 Church st. for the purpose of future visits.
Dr. Wardner served as coroner in Franklin County for about 23 years and during his practice delivered close to 6,000 babies in this county. He is a member of the Franklin County Medical Association, the Medical Society of New York State and, the American Medical Association.
On May 2, 1949, he marked his 50th year of practice and was awarded a 50-year certificate sent by the State Medical Society "in recognition of 50 years devoted to to the service of the public in the practice of medicine."
Dr Wardner will make his home at 64 High Farms rd., West Hartford, 7, Conn.
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, April 10, 1961
Doctor William Wardner Served Area For 55 Years
Dies In Connecticut At 87; Delivered 6,000 Local Babies
Dr. William A. Wardner, 87, who who practiced medicine in Saranac Lake for 30 years and became one of the town's most beloved physician, died Saturday afternoon in the Farmington Convalescent Home in West Hartford, Conn.
On January 21, 1955, Dr. Wardner moved to West Hartford to make his borne with his son. Dr. LeRoy H. Wardner and brought to a close 55 years of service to the North Country. The first 25 years of his professional life were spent in St. Regis Falls. In that time, it was estimated he delivered 6,000 babies in the county. He also served as coroner of Franklin County for 23 years.
With his father, Dr. LeRoy M. Wardner, who began medical practice in Dickinson Center in 1870, he contributed to 80 years of medical service to the people of Franklin County.
Dr. Wardner was graduated from Albany Medical College in 1899 and opened an office in St. Regis Falls. The general practitioner came to Saranac Lake in 1925 and opened offices in his home at 38 Church Street.
The doctor was married in 1901 to the former Lena E. Palmer of Upper Jay, who died on April 24, 1952. The couple had marked their 50th wedding anniversary on Jan. 29, 1951.
Father and Son
On July 16, 1937, his son joined him for the practice of general medicine and surgery. The younger doctor was associated with his father for ten years prior to moving to West Hartford after taking additional medical study.
Dr. Wardner was then joined in partnership by Dr. Richard P. Bellaire who has continued the practice since Dr. Wardner's retirement.
On May 2, 1949 he received congratulatory messages from the Medical Society of the State of New York and the Alumni Association of Albany Medical College in recognition of his completing 50 years as a physician. He was also a member of the Franklin County Medical Association and the American Medical Association.
Also in 1949 he received a medal from the Franklin-Hamilton District of the Masonic order for "a half century of devotion to the craft." Dr. Wardner was a member of Blue Mountain Lodge of St. Regis Falls, a patron of the Eastern Star, Whiteface Mt. Chapter of Saranac Lake, and of the Saranac Lake Oddfellows.
A funeral service is being held in West Hartford today. Cremation will follow and there will be a private burial in the Jay Central Cemetery. A memorial service will be held at 1 p. m. on Saturday at the Saranac Lake Presbyterian Church with the pastor, the Rev. W. James Erdmann, officiating Memorial gifts may be sent to the free bed fund of Saranac Lake General Hospital.