Born: April 21, 1882

Died: April 23, 1931

Married: Nona Swank, March 30, 1909 (1885-1980)

Children: Nona Lizora Hanes (June 3, 1910 - May 3, 1968), William Marvin Hanes, Jr. (April 13, 1913 - ), Newton Henderson Hanes (January 10, 1915 -December 15, 1969), Jarvis Aubrey Hanes (April 2, 1921 - January 20, 1947)

William M. Hanes of Winston-Salem, N. Carolina was the chairman of the P. H. Hanes Knitting Company, now a part of the Hanes Corporation.  He owned Camp To-No-Na and the Algonquin Hotel.

Adirondack Record, September 26, 1919


Eddy Whitby, real estate dealer of Saranac Lake, announces the purchase by William M. Hanes of Winston Salem, N. C. of Camp Bedeford and Camp George, two of the best known properties on lower Saranac Lake, from Congressman Frederick C. Tanner of New York city. Mr. Hanes, who is a prominent cotton grower and manufacturer, will make a number of improvements on the property. He plans to lease one of the camps. Camp George was built by Dan C. Hanna.

Adirondack Record, February 13, 1920


Dr. F. E Kendall, president of the Saranac Lake bank, acting for bondholders of the Suburban Development corporation, owners of the Algonquin hotel, lower Saranac Lake, has transferred the property to William C. Hanes of Winston-Salem, N. C. The option on the bonds amounted to $30,000. The Algonquin property consists of 117 acres of land and is located in one of the most picturesque spots on the lake Several years ago Mr. Hanes purchased the Dan Hanna camp, which lies below the Algonquin property. His acquisition makes him one of the largest property owners on the lake. The Algonquin hotel was conducted for many years by John Harding, proprietor of two hotels at Burlington, Vt. After Mr. Harding went into bankruptcy the bonds were taken over by the Suburban Development company. In 1918 Edgar C. Wallace, who was proprietor of the Berkely hotel, conducted the Algonquin hotel during the summer. At the end of the season he filed a petition in bankruptcy.