Married: Edna Witherbee


William R. Vosburgh was a businessman, justice of the peace, and proprietor of the Riverside garage. He also served as supervisor of the Lewisohn camp on Upper Saranac Lake. 1 He owned the St. Armand Hotel when it burned to the ground the night of March 24, 1927.

Malone Farmer, January 17, 1917

Saranac Lake is to have a new $20,000 fire-proof garage with a capacity of 40 cars. William R. Vosburgh, the well-known garage man, is to build it on the River street site near Riverside Inn, occupied by his present establishment. Architect Westhoff drew the plans and the contract has been let to Branch & Callanan. The new structure will be of concrete and brick, two stories high, the second floor being reached by a drive from the street with a 10 per cent grade. Floors will be of concrete and steel. The front will be of tapestry brick. It is expected that the building will be completed in May.

Adirondack Record-Elizabethtown Post, September 16, 1921


William R. Vosburgh of Saranac Lake, a native Moriah Center boy, has purchased from James Mannix the Hotel St. Armand, between Saranac Lake and Bloomingdale and has taken possession. Besides the hotel the deal includes 300 acres of fertile land and takes in the Mannix race track, scene of many programs, horse races and field sports. Mr. Vosburgh plans numerous improvements to the hotel. The first building, a large farmhouse, was erected on the site by A. W. Morehouse 50 years ago. Mr. Mannix bought it in 1898 and improved it. In 1906 the building burned in a mysterious fire. Then the present hotel was erected. It is a four story building.


2013-01-12 10:25:37   I think the River Street garage (above) was in what is now Riverside Park, more or less where the bear statues are now. See Sanborns? —MaryHotaling

2013-01-13 08:59:44   Yes, that sounds right. You can also see its location in the photos at Riverside Garage, especially the one at the bottom of the page. —Mwanner


1. Essex County Republican, January 11, 1907