Woodruff Street runs from Broadway northeast across Church Street before crossing the Saranac River and bending north to Bloomingdale Avenue. The street is named for R. Eugene Woodruff, a Saranac Lake contractor. At one time he owned the property now occupied by the Loomis Block, the Ledger buildings, the Adirondack Hardware Company and many private residences. He opened a street through the property and in 1894 the bridge over the river was built. Woodruff supervised the construction of many local buildings including the original Harrietstown Town Hall and the Church of St. Luke, the Beloved Physician. He organized the first fire company in Saranac Lake in 1888 and served as supervisor for the Town of Harrietstown.

Old Address Post-911 Address Building Name Cure Evidence/Notes
Starts at Broadway
5 Woodruff Street 10 Woodruff Street 5 Woodruff Street DIS
6 Woodruff Street 11 Woodruff Street 6 Woodruff Street  
7 Woodruff Street     TBSWC
8 Woodruff Street 11 Woodruff Street Fisk Cottage TBSWC, DIS 1911
10 Woodruff Street   Co-Operative Plumbing Company  
11 Woodruff Street 22 Woodruff Street Muhoney Cottage TBSWC, DIS 1913
12 Woodruff Street 17 Woodruff Street 12 Woodruff Street  
16 Woodruff Street   16 Woodruff Street DIS 1930
18 Woodruff Street 25 Woodruff Street 18 Woodruff Street  
19 Woodruff Street 6 Woodruff Street 19 Woodruff Street

 was 15-19, Stairs

front 14 Broadway?

Cure Cottages, p. 66

20 Woodruff Street 27 Woodruff Street 20 Woodruff Street TBSWC
21 Woodruff Street 30 Woodruff Street Benjamin Woodruff Cottage

TBSWCNYC1915DIS 1912

Cure Cottages, p. 45

22 Woodruff Street 29 Woodruff Street 22 Woodruff Street

TBSWCDIS

Boyce and Roberson,

Cure Cottages, p. 107 &128

Crosses Church Street
24 Woodruff Street & Church Street Extension   24 Woodruff Street Boyce & Robertson Filling Station, 1933-1954
26 Woodruff Street & Church Street Extension   26 Woodruff Street Adirondack Park Motors Corporation, 1936-'45; Fisher Motor Company, 1945-'62; Aris Glove factory, 1945-50; Saranac Lake News Company Inc.,1962-65
28 Woodruff Street & 22 Church Street Extension 39 Woodruff Street & 138 Church Street 28 Woodruff Street Adirondack Park Motors, 1936-39; Fisher Motor Company, 1945-'54
29 Woodruff Street & Church Street Extension   29 Woodruff Street A & P grocery, 1967
35 Woodruff Street 64 Woodruff Street 35 Woodruff Street  
37 Woodruff Street 66 Woodruff Street 37 Woodruff Street TBSWC
Crosses the Saranac River
42 Woodruff Street 79 Woodruff Street 42 Woodruff Street TBSWC, DIS
46 Woodruff Street 85 Woodruff Street M.M. Jones Cottage

DIS 1951

Image

50 Woodruff Street 91 Woodruff Street Whitman Cottage

TBSWCDIS

Cure Cottages, p. 39

51 Woodruff Street 102 Woodruff Street 51 Woodruff Street DIS
Ends at Bloomingdale Avenue

Woodruff Street bridge. The photograph is taken from Helen Hill looking down the northernmost part of Front Street (now a stairway). North Main Street is at the bottom of the photograph; above is the Woodruff street bridge over the Saranac River. Above the bridge are the tracks of the Saranac Lake and Lake Placid railway and above that, Bloomingdale Avenue. Margaret Street climbs the hill at left, and the white Morgan House is partly visible at the left edge, left of the bottom of Margaret Street. The white roof at top is the Kinney Camp. (Detroit Publishing, dated 1905-1920)