The wireless password is stiegler
The first Kitchener Wiki workshop: a 2 day affair at the Critical Media Lab on May 23 and 24th, 2012.
How are we doing? See a chart of our progress.
Check out the tag cloud.
Handy links for working on the wiki:
Workshop Day 1 Plan
What is a local wiki?
- Look at some examples.
- How does it work?
- Sharing content & open licenses
- What can we do with a local wiki that makes it different than other resources already online?
- What unique content can we create for new visitors that will make it immediately valuable?
- Create a user account
- edit your user page
- Add yourself to the People page
- start making some edits and creating pages! Use the Templates where appropriate.
- Read the localwiki usage guide with help on editing, adding photos, and more
- Check out the Davis Wiki, DentonWiki, and TriangleWiki for ideas and inspiration
Lets set some goals!
- How many pages will we each make?
- Carry your camera and grab # photos
Workshop Day 2 Plan
Any questions or issues come up over the last day?
- Who can help?
Some cool advanced wiki stuff
- tags - descriptive and for requests
- Some worktime
What do we need to best move forward?
- Overview page
- what we're working on... how to contribute page.
- Create a plan and assign people and dates.
- Reach out to Waterloo Historical Society?
Ideas for pages
Share what you know. Make pages for all of the places, businesses, and events that you care about. Don't worry about documenting the entire community, just focus on things that matter to you.
Here's some ideas to get your started. Feel free to add or edit.
- Biker History
- Christie Digital
- Waterloo Historical Society
- Temporary Events, Festivals, and so on. And their history
- Hi-Way Market
- Fairview Park Mall
- Hidden Valley Estates
- Bush Parties
- Research In Motion
- Hiking Trails
- Industrial Sector
- Edelweiss Tavern
- Waterloo Region Museum
- Storm Drains
- the accordion player
- Downtown Kids
- Reggie Kids - is that right?
- Parks - good parks for kids, for exercise, or for romance?
- Bizarre Kitchener - weird things people might not know about
- Parking Lots - notable parking lots, why are they important
- Transit - busses, trains, trams – where do they go?
- Pizza - good pizza, cheap pizza, link to restaurants we can make pages for.
- Kitchener City Hall - what's inside?
- Schools - elementary and secondary schools
- Colleges - what are the local colleges? How do they impact the city?
- Recreation - what's to do for fun? What do people do for a day trip?
- Art Spaces - galleries and organizations... Critical Media Lab, CAFKA
- Public Art
- Notable People from Kitchener - anyone famous?
- Local Issues - political issues, development issues, etc
- Look at the Map and create pages based on Landmarks and major roadways